Help! I can't decide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I can't decide?

Hello guys,

Long time since i've been here.

I own a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 (4x4)
It has the GT5 G80 4.10 axle.
I am going to mount a Magnacharger, and after that the Avalanche will have 441 hp and 503 ft/lb torque.
I don't think my standard 4L60E can handle that power for a long time.
I'd like to buy a stronger transmission.

I like the following two very much:

Finish Line Transmissions: L6 4L65E (3400 usd)
http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...meDuty4L65.htm
Performabuilt Transmissions: L2 4L60E (2290 usd)
http://www.performabuilt.com/level-2.html

I can't decide which one would be best for my application?
I think both companies make nice transmissions though.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM

I would suggest putting a 4l80E in and save your self the head aches. With the weight of your vehicle you will need to freshen up a 4l6XE once a year or so depending on your driving habits. The 80 is a better option for you guys with heavier vehicles trust me I know. Jake from Jakes Performance has some great deals on these units so you might want to look into what he has to offer. In addition the other two companies you have listed there is also RPM transmissions. They build some nice stuff as well. Between all of them if you decide to do this conversion I'm sure one of them can hook you up! Vince
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Teching In

I guess you are right about your vote for a 4L80E, however i really want a transmission that bolts on, and that is either a 4L60E or a 4l65E.

In my country, the Netherlands, they ask a huge amount of money for transmission work.
One company said it would cost me usd 8000 to beef up my 4l60E

If i am not mistaken, the 4L65E was also used in Cadillac Escalades?

Oh yeah, about my driving habbits: i do drive gentle, sometimes i have a heavy foot when i want to teach ricers a lesson, and maybe in the future i will tow a caravan (of 3300 lbs), but i aint using my Avalanche for hard driving all the time.

Last edited by Djurre-Avalanche; 02-24-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Call Rossler Transmissions in Ohio. He will talk with you and help you make your decision.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip, but since i live overseas i wish i could get some good opinions on my topic
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a built 60e behind our car. It was expensive and we had many problems till Rossler built it. I had it freshened up here in Houston buy Circle D. They can live behind higher HP builds. In your case you can keep some of the torque mangement in the programming to help it. If I had to do it all over again I would have just done an 80E.

My 04 2500HD has an 80 E that has over 120K on it. I've had zero problems with it. The truck is basically stock.

I'm sure the 80E will bolt right in to your truck. Being that your truck is 4 wheel drive you maybe required too move the transfer case back change the drive shaft. I'm not sure on the computer programming. You would need a different torque convertor, flex plate, harness etc. I never switched due to the electronics of the two. I know you can buy a stand alone computer for the 80E, or make it a full manual. I'm thinking you can change the PCM with HP tunnners and have it run the 80E
What do you plan on doing with the truck when its finished?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vince B
I would suggest putting a 4l80E in and save your self the head aches. With the weight of your vehicle you will need to freshen up a 4l6XE once a year or so depending on your driving habits. The 80 is a better option for you guys with heavier vehicles trust me I know. Jake from Jakes Performance has some great deals on these units so you might want to look into what he has to offer. In addition the other two companies you have listed there is also RPM transmissions. They build some nice stuff as well. Between all of them if you decide to do this conversion I'm sure one of them can hook you up! Vince
Don't hate Vinnie, just don't steal from your employer.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Actually a 4L80E is not a direct bolt on i'm afraid, and since they ask loads of money over here to do modifications i really want a strong 4L60E or 4L65E.

I will drive normal for 80% of the time.
Sometimes i will drive faster, especially when U2 is on the cd player.
I bought the supercharger for more power up the mountains and to give my car that little extra fun, but i won't burn tires with it.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

are those trans prices shipped prices?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Not out of the Country, at least not from us.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

What i meant by bolting in they will fit any LS block. It will take some fabrication. The parts should be readily ava. from GM. What chassis is the AV. built on?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Like i said before, i don't want a 4L80E because the shop have to do modifications before it fits and that will cost me loads of money.

If i had to choose between a stronger made 4L60E or 4L65E, wich one is the best choice?

I won't burn tires with my Avalanche.
I will not use full throttle all the time.

Thx
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM

My post above with the weight of your vehicle and power I honestly feel the 80E is your best option. I would post over here to see what guys with similar combo's advise is. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...splay.php?f=22 If you look down the page and read some of the threads you will see that converting to a 4l80e is very common in vehicles with the weight and HP. Just stating the obvious here and from my experience I feel that it would be a good option for you to consider.

However if you do stay with the 4l6X series transmission I would look at a 4l65e based build with a billet output shaft. Both Finish line or RPM Transmissions would be a good choice for one of these type of units. I see one of the sales reps from FLT has posted in this thread so you could contact him to see what he has to offer. Also I would PM Jeremy@RPMTransmissions. I hope this helps. Vince