Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e no lock up and staring off in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e no lock up and staring off in 3rd

I just got my car back on the road after a head gasket failed and I am having some tranny issues.

94 Lt1 4L60E

It has been starting out in 3rd gear , but i can manually shift 1-2-3-4 , and also noticed the converter is not locking up.

This kinda sounds like limp mode but not sure. if it is what can i do to correct it?

The car can easily spin the tires and all clutches and band seems to be grabbing well. I hate to have to tear the tranny apart if its something like sensors or something.

Just a lil history , i had an off brand converter fail and lock up on me a few months back. I replaced it with a stocker, freshened up the tranny and replaced the pump since it was a little chewed up inside.

Hopefully this isnt a shot in the dark to diagnose but am hoping to get some useful thoughts on the culprit.

Thanks,
Mako
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and also i just noticed it will not up-shift into 3rd unless i have it in drive.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your having Stall Wall, thats for sure. I had the same in my 1994 383 z28, too high of a stall and the thing go into limp mode. If you shut off and restarted, it would go away but come back as soon as the PCM saw the RPM vs MPH diff.

But since you have a stock stall back in the car, it be odd that your having limp mode issues.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive only driven the car just since monday to work and back and still verifying what exactly its doing. I will try to scan it and see what the computer is saying..maybe just some faulty shift selenoids or something. It almost seems like it does right off the bat though just pulling out of the driveway.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the PCM is seeing for TPS voltage can have an effect as well. I think It cannot be more then 1.00, I have to go back to some old datamaster logs if I can find them but def look into that.

Also to mention my PCM never threw a DTC or SES light for stall wall, but it did for the TPS situation, and when putting it into gear would have a violent shift. This was all RPM based stuff.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 03-01-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like it could also be trash from the damaged converter hanging things. Did you have the trans flushed? New filter?

Any codes? Sounds like it could also be solenoids hanging, trash in valves, or something in the wiring.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will check that TPS possibility..The car itself runs great besides this darn transmission.

Yeah trash is another concern. I cleaned out everything i could get to when i freshened it up,, but those lil pieces can hide anywhere.
I am going to have to run the codes tomorrow night. Gotta focus on the Wifes Chevelle build so i can have a garage back lol
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you either have a limp mode condition from a transmission code or a no power condition. I would verify that all your fuses are good to start with. Vince