Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all should I do when I drop the pan for a fluid/filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all should I do when I drop the pan for a fluid/filter change?

Popping my cherry here with a pretty n00b question so please be kind.

I am going to do a fluid and filter change here soon and was wondering what other simple bolt-ons and mods to keep it a good reliable DD I should do to the transmission without getting tooo much into the valve body etc. 1-2 pinless? corvette servo?

Thanks in advance,
Braxton
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Just what I have been told, so no one bite my head off, now days were not suppose to do filter changes. Fluid is ok as long as u do it with a machine that pushes new in and pulls the old out, but something to the extent of the fluid gets use to going a certain path, and by swapping filters it can flow more fluid and with that it works loose any dirt or contaminents and it could stop something up in your valve body. So Idk, back in the day, if you were having tranny issues, this is how we would start, fluid and filter. GL tho man, hopefully someone with some better knowledge can chime in
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by krissoto
Just what I have been told, so no one bite my head off, now days were not suppose to do filter changes. Fluid is ok as long as u do it with a machine that pushes new in and pulls the old out, but something to the extent of the fluid gets use to going a certain path, and by swapping filters it can flow more fluid and with that it works loose any dirt or contaminents and it could stop something up in your valve body. So Idk, back in the day, if you were having tranny issues, this is how we would start, fluid and filter. GL tho man, hopefully someone with some better knowledge can chime in
I have seen newer cars recommend changing the fluid at 100,000 miles. Probably because car manufacturers anticipate most people trading in their cars by 100,000 miles or less. Most people nowadays dont like to get their hands dirty. My experience with newer cars, new to me is 2003 and up lol, is limited though.

But on our cars (LS F-bodys) fluid and filter change regularly is a must. I do it every 20,000 miles or yearly, whichever comes first. Drop the pan, change the filter, and clean the magnet in the bottom of the pan. If you choose to upgrade your trans you need to do more than just vb modifications. A nice aftermarket cooler is a good start.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Teching In

When you run a cooler, don't you run the risk of "overcooling"?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am with Kev on this one with the tranny service only because I like having fun in my car and I know that I am pretty harsh on the components. You don't have to worry about over cooling. Yes it will be cooler but that is a safety factor when you think about running it hard or for long periods of time. Just think you will run less of a chance of overheating the trans which is very damaging
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by krissoto
Fluid is ok as long as u do it with a machine that pushes new in and pulls the old out,
Watch those sales pitches....they hurt your wallet.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Idk about servos and all that but drop the pan, change filter, change gasket, clean out pan, clean magnet, put pan back and torque bolts to 10'lbs, fill with new fluid, and do this for every 10k-30k miles whichever you prefer. Dont bother with a flush machine its a load of crap.
I just did a tc change and when I had the trans out I stood it up on the tail and got all the fluid I could out. That combined with the pan was 8-9qrts of new fluid I put in. Now ill be dropping the pan every 10-15k to stay on top of that new fluid thats in there.
Oh and get a cooler. Dont worry about it being to cold thats a myth.

Last edited by senicalj4579; 03-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by QuickSilverAWD
When you run a cooler, don't you run the risk of "overcooling"?
Unless you live in the severe cold "overcooling" would be the least of my worries. If you are running a stock stall then just piggyback a cooler off the transmission return (top line) from the radiator and you wont have to worry about overcooling. If you get a stall then you definetely wont worry about overcooling.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

just a word about the small gasket for the filter, small rubber ring with a medel ring it goes into the tube that the neck of the filter pluges into it can be quite a pain to change after I changed the first one ( take a scibe or small screw driver work under one side and collapse one side and work it out, reinstall new one by driving it in with a socket that just fits ) read that most ppl do not change it nor do I after the first time
Johnny
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

DIY converter flush, if you feel up to it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/4150471-post10.html
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
just a word about the small gasket for the filter, small rubber ring with a medel ring it goes into the tube that the neck of the filter pluges into it can be quite a pain to change after I changed the first one ( take a scibe or small screw driver work under one side and collapse one side and work it out, reinstall new one by driving it in with a socket that just fits ) read that most ppl do not change it nor do I after the first time
Johnny
Yes exactly this! An awl or something small to get in there. I did it on my 98 when I had it but since iv hadthis car I dont even bother replacing the damn thing. Its fine
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you place a medium length screwdriver on one side/edge of the filter seal, and with a hammer lightly tap the screwdriver, directing the screwdriver toward the center of the seal (if you follow my meaning), the seal will go ****-eyed and you can then pull it out with long nose pliers.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i think most f bod trannys came with corvette servos..........so save your money there