Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e slipping problem, how to replace bands?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e slipping problem, how to replace bands?

My car slipped in second gear if you went WOT, and it eventually started slipping under half throttle, and now first is starting to at WOT. I had 2 reputable transmission shops check it out and they both said it was the bands that were slipping.

I'm short on money and don't plan on keeping the car for longer than a few months more, but i want to at least get a trans that works. I'm not looking to rebuild or buy a built one. How difficult is it to replace the bands inside the trans? will it require replacing more parts? As i said, i don't plan on keeping the car for much longer, i just need it drivable for the time being
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Theres only one band. It's not worth doing a half assed repair.
What if you replace whatever you think needs to be replaced and it still slips?

If the band is worn, chances are the rest of the clutches are worn, and if they're not then you need to figure out why just the band wore out. And if all the frictions are worn what do you do about all that worn friction material in the converter and stuck between the apply pistons and their seals, and in the valve body sticking valves?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

a band is $20, and a basic rebuild kit is $240 not bad if you can do it youlself.....

this is how easy it is......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...resh-pics.html
Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks hard
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
a band is $20, and a basic rebuild kit is $240 not bad if you can do it youlself.....

this is how easy it is......
And how much are all those special tools you used?
Sure a band is $20, how often have you seen a sucessful repair where just the band was replaced? I've pulled out bands that were fried and the trans still had a strong 2nd.

Originally Posted by branj70
I'm short on money and don't plan on keeping the car for longer than a few months more,
It's tough to talk someone into doing a trans rebuild properly after reading this.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
And how much are all those special tools you used?
Sure a band is $20, how often have you seen a sucessful repair where just the band was replaced? I've pulled out bands that were fried and the trans still had a strong 2nd.

It's tough to talk someone into doing a trans rebuild properly after reading this.
my pump alignment tool was $48, i welded my own spring compressor tool for $14 in supplies from ace hardware. The rear spring compressor was $29, and i had a locat shop in stall the input shaft teflon seals for $10.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The transmission in my ls1 dodge ram came from a 600 rwhp turbo camaro, I bought it in about 100 pieces, the 3-4 was smoked, replaced it and the band, still shifts good for a cheap overhaul. I wouldn't recommend doing just a band or 3-4 clutches only, replacing all seals, o-rings, and gaskets is what also helps prevent fluid leakage

Last edited by silverz28camaro; 04-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e slipping problem, how to replace bands?