Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a serious Dilema on my Hands

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have a serious Dilema on my Hands

Ok, so I have been thinking about this problem now for about 6 months and asking people on what they would do etc etc and everyone is saying different things but none of them are really meeting my criteria. So here is my problem:

I have a '99 camaro. It use to be a stick car and I converted it over to a 4L60e and have successfully completed the swap after I put my 408 in the car. But now, I am ready to do the next stage of my build and my stock 4L60E is not going to take it. I am looking at a range between 700 hp/tq to 1k+ hp/tq at the rear wheels in a car that is going to be around 3700 to 4000lbs. I am putting a large twin screw blower on this car and I need something that can handle the torque but need to follow this criteria:

Handle a large amount of power from a dig
The abillity for the converter to lock up
Have overdrive (I want to be able to drive this car from coast to coast.)
Be relatively reliable (I know at these power levels nothing is going to be bullet proof)
Be relatively affordable (aka no more then 4k to 5k)
Be a true auto, no manual shifting (but have the capability of manual shifting it)
My grandmother should not have much of a problem driving the car (I don't want to have this car be stupid difficult to drive)

Now here are some of the options I have been toying with:
4L60-65E
Pros: tons of parts, easy to get my hands on, tons of experience out there
Cons: even built up, probably not going to handle the power reliably

4L80E
pros: people have done this many times.
cons: modify trans tunnel, big power hog, and very heavy, not cheap to build

TH400 w/4L80E lockup and overdrive module
Pros: overdrive module can make more gear availible, TH400 cheap to build and hold power
cons: everything is manually controlled with the lockup and over drive, I haven't seen anyone do this, possible fitment issues with the OD module

*cringe* Put a Ford tranny in the car. such as a 4r75w. I have seen these trannies take so much more abuse. I don't know anyone who has done this and will need to spend money on a seperate control module if I don't want a manual valve body in it.

Last option is a custom race tranny but, that is probably going to blow any budget that i am going to have

Any opinions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Get a 4L80E. They're not more than $4000.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 04-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

I would think that the only sensible option is the 4L80E . With a few upgrades it will handle the power you are talking about .
The Th400/Gear Vendor isn't a bad ideal . but there isn't a lockup in a 400 .
In my opinion a Ford 4R70W isn't as good or as strong as a 4L60E .
If you already have the electronics for a 4L60E I'm pretty sure it can be tuned for the 80E . The 80E is larger and heavier than the others but well worth the effort , you will have all your needs covered .
Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have read on certain forums you can get a custom converter and a special solenoid that goes into the 400 to achieve lockup. It seems to be a big thing with the turbo buicks. But the overdrive module I was thinking about was the gear vendors. The 2 big ticket items with that setup would the gear vendors and converter w/ lockup conversion.

A 4L80E is the easiest and probably slighlty cheaper. I dont know what build 80e's are going for now a days. But i know a few local guys who have done that swap and immediately pulled them out because they are so lossy and heavy.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4L80 swap would probably be around 4k for that conversion and power level (hardened input shaft and forward hub plus some other goodies), maybe a touch more, but it'd be your best bet. I used to think they were way heavier, but I have since been corrected. What's the bulk of that weight difference is the enormous stock converter in the 4L80.
Depending on your stall, you could do a gear vendors ($2400ish give or take), but without the lockup, you'd still be running more rpm's than with a lockup converter.
If you're going to be running that much power, is it realistic to worry about a touch more parasitic loss for a tranny that you'd know can handle the power.

Just thinking out loud
Old 04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tilly
4L80E
pros: people have done this many times.
cons: modify trans tunnel, big power hog, and very heavy, not cheap to build
Get a stage 3 4L80e with transbrake from Jakes Performance. All you have to do to the trans tunnel is massage it, not too much modification there. They are about 70 lbs more than the 60e. And as far as not being cheap to build, you should be well within your budget if you are doing this yourself.. Jakes Performance is a sponsor on here, talk to him and make your decision then.. As far as converters go, buy you a custom built one with multi discs to handle the lock ups..

Joel
Old 04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

As much of a do it yourselfer. Transmissions is one thing i do not like to touch. I'll do shift kits and what not but I would rather have some one know what they are doing go that deep into a tranny.

The gear venders will give me an OD of .78 and I can go WOT in OD. It looks like the OD in the 80e is a .75 and not most tranny builders will tell you not to go WOT in OD (I know this is fact for the 60e IDK if it is for the 80e). Plus the gear vendors will give me all those in between gears. And they run about 2600 (negative part). But i would like to keep the rpms down but I mean this is a performance vehicle and I don't care about MPGs. It is what it is. I more care about on the reliability and wear on the motor. And if it means i need to run a couple of hundred more rpm on the highway for a stronger drivetrain, I can live with that.

My budget doesn't consist of the converter. I'll get whatever I need to reliably hold the power. I used a cheap converter once, and every racer you talk to will tell you not to cheap out on one.

Last edited by tilly; 04-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, one more thing. Yea at those power levels, you are right, yea its just a little parasitic loss but at the same time, its heavier (70 lbs more but i am also running an iron block) and with those negatives, is it going to be as durable as the th400 setup.

I guess what i am looking for is some one to think outside the box and put something else on the table that I don't have listed.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Ah, one more thing. Yea at those power levels, you are right, yea its just a little parasitic loss but at the same time, its heavier (70 lbs more but i am also running an iron block) and with those negatives, is it going to be as durable as the th400 setup.

I guess what i am looking for is some one to think outside the box and put something else on the table that I don't have listed.
If I'm correct, the only thing your are paying for on a gear vendor unit is the tail part that gives you the extra gears.. I can be wrong.. 70 lbs is MAYBE a tenth in the 1/4 but at the same time with the transbrake you can make that tenth up, hopefully
Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put the stock 4L80 converter in your car, the total increase would be about 70ish.
If you scrap the stock 4L80 converter, you're only talking 35ish..
Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, it bolts up where the tailshaft housing goes. And I can get a t-brake for a 400 too ^_^ And your right, the formula is roughly for ever 50 to 100 lbs depending where, its a 1/10th
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

So it's either a th400 and gear vendors, or a 4L80E.

I would go with a Jakes Performance 4L80E, he has his own transbrake design and pretty much everything else you need.

You should at least talk with him, even if you go with a th400 and GV he can build the th400.