Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question?? Transmission Dipstick ??

Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question?? Transmission Dipstick ??

Alright i know this is gong to sound stupid, make fun of me later, trying to get this done!!! here we go, i have a 4L60E transmission and i installed a torque converter and did all the steps to installing it now its time to check the fluid, but i let the car warm up to operating temps and i kept checking it while it was running and adding fluid, when for some reason it will not read correctly on my dipstick. when i removed the trans i did not remove the fluid due to it was not hard when fluid was in it to remove it but i mean i did lose some here and there (For example, out of the end of the transmission and a lil out of radiator). Also i installed a Trans cooler part # 70268. anyways if you could please tell me whats going on i would like to know thanks. P.S. yes i know its a dumb question but this is what this forum is about, helping others with problems. also i made sure that there was no lines leaking and there is not any. (after i let it warm up i jacked the car up and looked at all the lines and nothing)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Restricted User

That doesn't make much sense lol. I am not understanding what your question is???? How do you know it isn't reading correctly on your dipstick?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Launching!

the reason i know is bc the dip stick keeps rubbing on the dipstick tube and causing the fluid to get all over the dipstick... i added about 2 to 3 qrts of ATF and its still not reading right. i shouldnt of lost that much ATF if i didnt drain the fluid out in the first place.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by lildemars09
the reason i know is bc the dip stick keeps rubbing on the dipstick tube and causing the fluid to get all over the dipstick... i added about 2 to 3 qrts of ATF and its still not reading right. i shouldnt of lost that much ATF if i didnt drain the fluid out in the first place.
Ok here is a tip. When pulling it out one side is going to have fluid way up the dipstick from the fluid you just poored in getting on it. just turn it around and look at the other side of the dipstick. It will show the corect amount because the other side wont have the fluid on it that you poored in. Let me know if you understand what im saying and if it works out for you.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Launching!

alright i understand what your saying but when you put it in it twists down the tube so it gets on both side. ill give it a shot and let you know
Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats what I do.before you start up a trans in stall you should read trans fluid on the dipstick.start run for 15 seconds shut of and check the dip stick again,add fluid if needed to read on the dip stick.too much fluid don't fry trannys.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garygnu
thats what I do.before you start up a trans in stall you should read trans fluid on the dipstick.start run for 15 seconds shut of and check the dip stick again,add fluid if needed to read on the dip stick.too much fluid don't fry trannys.
well i let it sit and cool down and it is reading on the dipstick, but its on warm so i have to much in there. i heard it was bad to run to much tranny fluid in your transmission
Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Launching!

The first thing to check is the fluid level. For an automatic transmission to function normally, the fluid level must be between the "full" and "add" marks on the dipstick. If the fluid level is low, the transmission may slip or engage slowly. If the level is too high, the fluid can become mixed with air (aerated) causing shifting problems, slippage and noise...... I found this on a website
Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lildemars09
The first thing to check is the fluid level. For an automatic transmission to function normally, the fluid level must be between the "full" and "add" marks on the dipstick. If the fluid level is low, the transmission may slip or engage slowly. If the level is too high, the fluid can become mixed with air (aerated) causing shifting problems, slippage and noise...... I found this on a website
rite-on, needs to be between d-marks
get- er rite,Johnny
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Launching!

yea so to much tranny fluid will burn your tranny up and cause it to slip correct?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you add an aftermarket/additional cooler up front?
(You should if you installed a 'stall-type' converter which will create more transmission heat.)
If so, see if you can use those connections to remove a bit of fluid.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Restricted User

Yea dpending how far you are over. If it was just a tiny bit than you will probably be fine.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Did you add an aftermarket/additional cooler up front?
(You should if you installed a 'stall-type' converter which will create more transmission heat.)
If so, see if you can use those connections to remove a bit of fluid.
yea i installed a transcooler in from but i am installing a aluminum drive shaft so when i replace my steel drive shaft fluid should leak out of the end on my tranny. so i am hoping it will be enough to where it will place the level at the right area on dipstick
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Yea dpending how far you are over. If it was just a tiny bit than you will probably be fine.
well when it sits cold its sitting on warm on the dipstick so that is way to much.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

First off, Sweet avatar z99

OP, did you fill the converter before installing?

Make sure you get the fluid level adjusted before too much playing, those tranny's HATE too much pressure
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it reading on the dipstick at all? You'd think you'd need to put more in since you added a cooler to it
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks. yea i added a qt of atf in the converter and yea now it is reading when it is a cold motor. it is ready on warm though so i believe there is to much tranny fluid in there... i know your suppose to check it when its warm but i dont want to chance it if there is to much fluid in the tranny so i am going to drain a lil out of my cooler or the end of the tranny
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Restricted User

Yea drain some out and start it up and check it.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

converter is going to take more than one quart plus you added a cooler so not knowing how much you've added thus far I bet you are still short. Letting the motor warm up in neutral won't cause you any major issues
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Launching!

well the instrutions to the stall converter said add about a court of transmission fluid to the converter so thats what i did. ill start it up and let it run for about 3-5 minutes and see where the level is at

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid question?? Transmission Dipstick ??