Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOT lockup

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT lockup

For those of you that do lock up the converter while going down the track, when do you do so?

Certain rpm, mph, gear etc?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone? Right now my only idea is to just shift into 3rd and hit the lockup switch, which would have it locked the last half of the track.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 PM

I have seen this done for various reasons. Normally I would not suggest doing it but at times it is needed. In some cases guys will lock the TCC because their converter is not efficient and this helps them with mph and ET. In other cases guys are running out of rpm and need to lower their rpms in order to get through the traps without shifting into OD. Vince
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vince B
I have seen this done for various reasons. Normally I would not suggest doing it but at times it is needed. In some cases guys will lock the TCC because their converter is not efficient and this helps them with mph and ET. In other cases guys are running out of rpm and need to lower their rpms in order to get through the traps without shifting into OD. Vince
I got my unit from circle d so its a good and efficient unit, i just want to see if it will make a difference at the track..if it does then ill use it. But i will mainly use the lockup at mile events.

I just know there are a few people on here that lock it up going down the track and get some good results.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to have to test it out and see when it is best for your setup. Play around with a few different RPMs to bring it on and see which is faster. To early and you will be out of the power band. So there is no exact answer.

Chris
Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
For those of you that do lock up the converter while going down the track, when do you do so?

Certain rpm, mph, gear etc?
It all depends on your setup.. I lock mine up at 90 mph which is 3rd gear for me and at 48/4900 rpms, after my converter has flashed, and passes the lights at 6500 rpms.. Heres a vid of my car, that you can hear when the converter locks up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwPw2drAvqY
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^

sounds like a whole different gear

Are you locking it up yourself with a switch or is the computer doing it for you?

I have a full manual valve body and im not sure if i can still have the computer lock it up or not??? still learing all this electronic stuff lol
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

^^^^

sounds like a whole different gear

Are you locking it up yourself with a switch or is the computer doing it for you?

I have a full manual valve body and im not sure if i can still have the computer lock it up or not??? still learing all this electronic stuff lol
computer lock up..
Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is a full manual, but can I still use the PCM to lock the converter some how?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You think your converter can handle it? You got that
in writing?

Locking mine makes it slower.

So you want to be sure about #1 and then you can
experiment with #2. Couple of open road pulls (down
in the Sonoran desert, naturally) with 4th gear locking
and not, pull the logs, plot MPH vs frame starting at
the upshift and see who wins. You can slide the
graphs around and see if there's any MPH where
locked is a better idea or you can derive acceleration
and plot acceleration vs MPH and see if there is a
crossover. There should be. Just maybe not at a
RPM / MPH you ever reach.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my converter from Circle D so im not even worried about hurting it.

First time to the 1/4 im just going to lock it at the 1/8 mile mark..itll be easy to see if the mph changes on the big end or not.

Im just hoping theres a way to lock up my converter without me manually having to do it going down the track and flipping a switch. Plus it would be alot more consistant
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You think your converter can handle it? You got that
in writing?

Locking mine makes it slower.
I've heard that from other people that locking the converter makes them slower. I wonder if its just the setups, because when mine locks up it feels like I just shot a 50 shot of nitrous on it and pulls hard.

I got my converter from Circle D so im not even worried about hurting it.

First time to the 1/4 im just going to lock it at the 1/8 mile mark..itll be easy to see if the mph changes on the big end or not.

Im just hoping theres a way to lock up my converter without me manually having to do it going down the track and flipping a switch. Plus it would be alot more consistant
If you are crossing the lights still in rd, then lock it up in 3rd gear right after your converter has flashed to whatever rpm you have. For example if your converter flashes 4000, lock it up at 42/4300 and so forth.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, my wont be that loose since its a turbo car and a TB....so on my 2-3 shift the rpm's will never fall that low, ill prob just start out by shifting to 3rd and then reaching down and locking it up....if it doesnt make a difference on my setup ill just save the lockup for the mile events
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just play around with it and see what works best for you. I doubt your car will slow down. Turbo cars love to be strangled to death. The more load the happier they are.

Quick Reply: WOT lockup