Sponsored by:

4L80E Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80E Questions

Ok,

I know i have a GTO, but you guys have done far many more 4l80 swaps then we have and i wanted to ask a few questions.

First off, Im not going to spend 1k on a controller when i can deal with a MVB trans. NO big deal their and it doesnt bother me. Infact it might make me feel like a man again! LMAO

anyway, i have been talking to a few GTO guys that have done it but did it awhile ago and bought that expensive *** controller.

They have told me to check into issues people were having when they first did the swap with a MVB and the one thing im noticing after the search is to stay away form the transgo MVB setup. Check, will do, so if thats the case, which direction should i look?

Im quite the "do it yourself" kind of person and want to tackle this on my own this time and just looking for any advice i can get. ive already spoken to Dave at yank about the new converter since ill have to replace this practically brand new ss3200 i have now and he's already got me ready to go with a new converter.

so i know i need driveshaft and a crossmember for the rear and other odds and ends, just basically need know about which MVB setup to go with and anything else anyone might have to offer as far as info for this swap.

thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jakes 4l80 trans brake works well from what I hear. There is no delay in shifting it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks, hopefully he will chime in tonight, or ill have to drop him a PM.

Ive always heard nothing but amazing things about him and his stuff.

TransBrake would certainley destroy my rearend, LMAO! Forced upgrade??
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats wrong with the stock PCM?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slow67
Whats wrong with the stock PCM?
Not on single GTO that i can find can make it work, and im not paying someone for the information.

If its out their...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by JAX04
Not on single GTO that i can find can make it work, and im not paying someone for the information.

If its out their...
For an '04 is easy. 05 and 06 need EFILive or get a compatible T42 TCM (their much more of a PITA).
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

For an '04 is easy. 05 and 06 need EFILive or get a compatible T42 TCM (their much more of a PITA).
Ive been part of a bunch of 4l80 threads on our forum and haven't Found a single person that made it work on the 04.

their is a couple that have done it with the controller box and have issue with speedometers and such.

If it can be done, then please, by all means enlighten me, but if your gonna ask me for money, dont bother.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

I've done it on mine with a simple wiring change .
Slow67 knows how its done . He knows what he's talking about .

On the later GTO's with the T42 controller its harder but still possible .
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I talked to slow Via PM, i will be giving it a shot. One of the only reasons i didnt want to risk it, well, its a freaking pain in the *** to remove the transmission, i really dont want to do it twice.

I will try Slows way, Im currently trolling for a 4l80e trans that i can rebuild.

Im not going to go "ALL OUT" this go around. Im going to use it with a set of good clutchs set up tight and see how it goes.

Ive read a hundred times that these 80s can take a beating with a good rebuild and a shift kit.

I wont be making any kind of crazy *** power.

So now i just need to know what to buy. Im gonna start searching here for the clutch packs that people are using and anything other small things that can help out.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I'm curious what method you guys are using to get the stock computers to control the 4l80e's.

I'm doing a swap into my BMW (yeah, lets make this more complicated) with a 5.3 I plan to magnacharge, and a 4l80e that will get a full rebuild and transgo stage 2 shift kit.

I know the shift outputs from the 4l80e computers are different than the 4l60e's, but obviously - if someones making it work there is a way!

The alternative I've been eyeing is the optishift, it seems like a really clean, easy to use box that allows for a bit more tinkering than the stock ECU would.

It has 2 program modes that you can modify:
Line pressure (10 points by TPS and RPM)
Shift points (same)
Torque Converter Lockup (same)

It also has a full manual shift mode (for paddles or a sequential style shifter).
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Bimmerdude
I'm curious what method you guys are using to get the stock computers to control the 4l80e's.

I'm doing a swap into my BMW (yeah, lets make this more complicated) with a 5.3 I plan to magnacharge, and a 4l80e that will get a full rebuild and transgo stage 2 shift kit.

I know the shift outputs from the 4l80e computers are different than the 4l60e's, but obviously - if someones making it work there is a way!

The alternative I've been eyeing is the optishift, it seems like a really clean, easy to use box that allows for a bit more tinkering than the stock ECU would.

It has 2 program modes that you can modify:
Line pressure (10 points by TPS and RPM)
Shift points (same)
Torque Converter Lockup (same)

It also has a full manual shift mode (for paddles or a sequential style shifter).
What year PCM? Most can control the 4L80E natively.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

What year PCM? Most can control the 4L80E natively.
I don't have a computer yet, but any of the DBC units will work for me.

Pulled the pan and converter off my junkyard tranny - fluid was clean, no debris to speak of, converter looks new....I'm thinking its been rebuilt (1995 sticker on it still though so I dunno).

Quick Reply: 4L80E Questions