Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretend a guy has no clue how an AT works...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pretend a guy has no clue how an AT works...

Is there any kind of a primer on auto trannies? Basically, I need to learn how an auto transmission works. How one works off of vacuum vs. electronically. What different modifications do. What different mods are actually needed. How much power an auto trans can be made to hold. Basically anything I can get my hands on explaining what each part is called and what it DOES.

Pretty much the whole damn thing.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a start.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm
Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It takes years to learn and master auto trannies......hope you got some free time to spare
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Restricted User

I have rebuilt a few 4l60e's and couldn't tell you what every part in the transmission is just by looking at it lol. If your dumb like me it helps to take pics when disassembling and have a good book to follow you through if you get lost somewhere. I gurantee I will rebuild my tranny 2-3 times and master it before I send it to someone to rebuild for me. Im guessing this is why you are wanting to learn about it? In case of 4l60 failure?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Im guessing this is why you are wanting to learn about it? In case of 4l60 failure?
Well, no, and yes I guess.

Basically, I have always run a manual trans in my car. I will be switching to a LQ4 coming up and am debating on AT or MT to go with it. I am looking at making 1000whp or more, but I know that even the Magnum trans or viper spec or any of the upgraded manuals can still have a hard time with this power. You get a little wheel hop or mis shift or drop the clutch too hard and sometimes it can take out the strongest of MT's.

If I end up putting an AT in my car, then I will be damned if I put one in and have no clue how the thing works. That being said, I don't need to MASTER it. But I would like to know things like what a manual valve body is and what it allows the driver to do and what it is doing inside the tranny. Or a slap stick or whatever mods you can do. That kind of stuff.

As of right now, there is no way I would attempt to build one for my race car. However, after I spend the next year or so learning about them, that may change.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetlag
Wow, that is a good read. However, don't try and read it while your kids or wife are awake. It's one of those things where you can't have any distractions and you need to focus. LOL.