Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my TH400 torque converter bad? (Video)

Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my TH400 torque converter bad? (Video)

Last year I swapped an LS1 and TH400 into my Nissan 350z. Towards the end of the year I started hearing a random clunking sound that came from the tunnel area so I put the car away for the year. After doing some research it sounding like I might have a cracked flexplate based on the description of what I heard.

Fast forward to now when I finally decided to start digging into the problem and take the transmission and torque converter out. After taking out the torque converter I noticed that you can shake it and hear a load clanking sound that I don't remember hearing upon initial installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uTV7HM0yg

The transmission, torque converter and flexplate are all brand new TCI components and I also used their transmission fluid. I run a large Derale transmission cooler with electric fan. I am not exceeding the recommended power levels of the components so that shouldn't be an issue. The torque converter has only 100 miles on it.

My question is do I have a bad torque converter? Is the clanking sound in the above video normal?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Bump. Anyone?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Converters can make noise if shaken....that is not how to test it.

only way to know is to cut it open.

if you see metal/shavings in your fluid or if your fluid is brown, then its bad....
otherwise... search other places...

I would almost bet your noise if from a worn out trans mount and/or engine mount.
If you arent using solid mounts, then the engine and trans could be flopping around and they could be banging the trans casing against the tunnel... very common, especially if theres not much clearance there anyways..
If its a Rubber bushing on the trans, and a rubber bushing on the motor mounts.... thats your banging.
even if they are all poly... it could still be that.

also, when you have a bad converter, you typically have driving issues in all gears...it would be obvious that there is a problem and not just a clunking noise.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Motor mounts are solid and the trans mount is poly. I have plenty of room so that is not what it is. It sounded like a bolt in the converter area hitting the inspection cover. Fluid was was not burnt or brown but there was a shaving or two in it.

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Converters can make noise if shaken....that is not how to test it.

only way to know is to cut it open.

if you see metal/shavings in your fluid or if your fluid is brown, then its bad....
otherwise... search other places...

I would almost bet your noise if from a worn out trans mount and/or engine mount.
If you arent using solid mounts, then the engine and trans could be flopping around and they could be banging the trans casing against the tunnel... very common, especially if theres not much clearance there anyways..
If its a Rubber bushing on the trans, and a rubber bushing on the motor mounts.... thats your banging.
even if they are all poly... it could still be that.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Opened up the pan and found this:

The magnet had some sludge on it but was no shavings or chunks. The fluid I drained from the tranny last week was red but the fluid left in the tranny that dripped into the pan over the weekend was the brown fluid shown.

Any input?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

the converter is totally fine. that is normal
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever find out what the clunking was?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my TH400 torque converter bad? (Video)