Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 4l60 rear tail housing is leaking?need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 4l60 rear tail housing is leaking?need advice.

i swapped my rear tail housing with one from street and performance that allows u to a manual spedo gear for my 68 camaro.the trans is a new built trans,i put about 6 quarts in for initial start up (car has not started yet,just turned over with starter)and the seem of the new tail housing where it mates to the rest of the trans is dripping slightly.my question is pulling the tail housing will it drain all the trans fluid?also can i use some of that black high temp rtv on the housing to help stop the leak when i put the housing back on?i appreciate the help!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:25 PM

You might loose some fluid depending on how high the fluid level is. I would verify exactly where it is leaking from first. There should be one seal on the extension housing to the adapter and then another from the adapter to the case. It is possible that one of the rings is twisted and this is what is causing your leak. I would also look to make sure that your mechanical speedo bullet is not leaking or the electronic VSS it self. I had an issue a couple of years ago on one I used that the welded bung for the VSS was leaking because of pin holes in the weld. Try to brake clean it all off real well and then verify where the leak is coming from would be my best advise here. HTH Vince
Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Vince,could be twisted seal or something!I'm pretty sure it's the seem between the main trans and beginning of the tail housing!if I remember correct I had a hard time getting it in there!

Quick Reply: my 4l60 rear tail housing is leaking?need advice.