Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans wont shift helpp

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans wont shift helpp

hey guys i recently did a swap from my 98z to a 98v6 and i hooked back up the trans shifter cable and BUT i cant get it to shift back up into a gear, i can shift down but when i go back upwards towards park nothing happens..... FML whats going on here guysss?????

Last edited by dont z20h8; 05-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Bump>>>>>
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Helppppppppppppppppppppppp
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 AM

Your post is kind of hard to read. So what your saying is you do not have any engagements what so ever? From manual low to reverse?

I would make sure that your trans is full of oil for starters while running. Then make sure the pump is pumping fluid. This can be done by removing a cooler line and starting the car. Keep in mind that the bottom line on the trans is the pressure line. So lets say you disconnect a line at the radiator or cooler make sure to put the end into a jug to catch the fluid so you don't make a mess. I find that a clear window washer fluid jug works well for this. It should pump a pretty good stream about a half a gal a minute or more. If it barely trickles or does not pump you created an issue when you installed your trans. Have a second person to help you with this helps.

I would say if you do not have any fluid pumping then you have a couple things you should look at here. One would be a broken transmission fluid pump. Another would be when you did your swap is the converter, bell housing, flex plate and trans all correct for your application. I have seen numerous cases where guys do these things and have the wrong combination of components and get a no movement condition. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

i fixed the post to be understood a little better but i have fluid in my tranny its basically brand new, But my cable is whats the problem lets say i want to drive off i start the car and and i put it in drive and i am able to drive off but if i wanted to stop put it in park reverse or even N it wont engage something wrongs with my cable im taking
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM

I would verify that the two bolts that hold the cable bracket to pan rail are tight and also the linkage arm nut where the cable attaches to the trans. It seems that something was left loose here. Check this stuff and you should fine your problem.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

ima see if i can get a video the bolts are tight tho , i figured that i need a new cable because the one hooked up now seems loosse or even like something is wrong when i have some one shift it like it not tight or snaped on hard to explain
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Sounds like you have narrowed it down.