Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo stops working then trans shifts funny

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo stops working then trans shifts funny

ok so I have a 97 firebird that has 130k just put a tranny in i got from the junkyard with 72k, i drove it for ~200 miles and shifted nice and ran great, now on monday when i started getting really hot out the speedometer would start to flake out the the transmission would start shifting funny then act like it was going into neutral.

So my first thought was Output shaft sensor was going bad so i had a spare sitting around so I swapped it, ugg still doing it. I did some research on the 4l60 and everything points to the output shaft sensor or the wiring to it.

I havent had a chance to look at it again since I swapped the sensor but I was wondering if any one else has had this issue or had any ideas where to look.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetride98
ok so I have a 97 firebird that has 130k just put a tranny in i got from the junkyard with 72k, i drove it for ~200 miles and shifted nice and ran great, now on monday when i started getting really hot out the speedometer would start to flake out the the transmission would start shifting funny then act like it was going into neutral.

So my first thought was Output shaft sensor was going bad so i had a spare sitting around so I swapped it, ugg still doing it. I did some research on the 4l60 and everything points to the output shaft sensor or the wiring to it.

I havent had a chance to look at it again since I swapped the sensor but I was wondering if any one else has had this issue or had any ideas where to look.
Sounds like you have some bad wires. you need to do a continuity check on the both wires to the tcm.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a close look at the wires where they go into the connector at the VSS. Being that you just did a swap I guessing this will be where your issue is. I have seen this many times and seems pretty common. Also the pins might be a little loose and you can try to tighten them up some using a pick. Vince