Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit or Electronic Shift Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit or Electronic Shift Programmer?

I have a stock 4L60E Transmission and was wounder what i should do? My car is 100% stock with 3.23's. Im not looking for the absolute best thats 400 dollars. Im looking for something under 100 dollars im only 16 and still trying to get a job lol. So whatss better the shift kit or an electronic shift programmer? If so what would you reccomend? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I recommend you send your PCM off for a mail order tune and have the shifts firmed that way. It's pretty effective.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

About how much would that cost?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Launching!

First of all stay away from mail order tunes.Second it is always better to put a good shift kit in like a trans-go then boosting line pressure electrically.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
First of all stay away from mail order tunes.Second it is always better to put a good shift kit in like a trans-go then boosting line pressure electrically.
He said his budget is $100. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Advice is relevant to the question actually being asked. Have you ever had an f-body with the pressures adjust through HPTuners? Have you ever had that done through a mail order tune place? Do you know what tables need to be adjusted to get a firmer shift feel? If you had experience with any of those you would likely give different advice
Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Launching!

I build 4l60e's all day and adjusting line pressure through the pcm is just not the right thing to do vs doing it hydrollicly.And yes i know how to do it.I also happen to be in the same building as masport speed shop who is one of the best tuners in the country and the best in s florida and i see fucked up mail tunes all day.How many transmissions have you built?It sounds like none with advise like that.If you are going to bash people on here atleast know what you are talking about.As far as budgets go if you dont have the money to do it right save money to get it done right in the long run it saves money.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Let me rephrase. I have owned a stock trans with firmed line pressures through HPTuners, I have that tune in this laptop that I'm using to type this. And second I currently own and run a built trans where the pressures were firmed the correct way, and I know what tables had to be put back to stock because the shifts were too hard. At the end of the day, both yielded the same end results. I prefer a built trans but again he said he has a budget of $100. I am fully confident a good mail order tuner could get the tables correct. And if you would like to say otherwise, I'm sure they would be more then happy to chime in and defend themselves and their work. I know I would.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Launching!

I am just saying it is very hard to put a tune in on a car you have not seen or really know what is going on with it mechanically How does it run?Are all the sensors good?Are there any vacum leaks?You know where i am going with this.Until you know all of this info for sure how can you be confident it is spot on.To get the best results you need the car and a dyno.I have the luxury of having both a great tuner and dyno so i see alot of messed up mail order tunes.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

But we aren't talking about a full tune here. We are talking about a main pressure table and the upshift modifier tables. Not rocket science.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
But we aren't talking about a full tune here. We are talking about a main pressure table and the upshift modifier tables. Not rocket science.
I know we are not talking about a full tune in this case i am speaking in general about mail tune.I would think if you are changing pressure tables you also do full tunes correct?It may not be rocket science but not everybody knows what they are doing even if they claim to.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would look at the budget Transgo kit. Shift corrector kit is what it's called IIRC. I want to say they are about $75.

Not a fan of boosted tables in the tune, feels wrong to me but to each his own.

I would do a trans go kit or leave it alone.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just an FYI, when I got my first stall I bought an HD2 at the same time. 90% of the local shops would not touch it unless I committed to a full tranny rebuild. They simply didn't want the liability and in this day and age I can say i understand why they would avoid the aggravation. I feel like his relatively simple question is getting blown way overboard here though.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Launching!

I agree
Old 07-22-2021, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
I am just saying it is very hard to put a tune in on a car you have not seen or really know what is going on with it mechanically How does it run?Are all the sensors good?Are there any vacum leaks?You know where i am going with this.Until you know all of this info for sure how can you be confident it is spot on.To get the best results you need the car and a dyno.I have the luxury of having both a great tuner and dyno so i see alot of messed up mail order tunes.
So,, an electronic tune won't really be compatable with a "shift kit? My son has blown a pump a year for the last two years. The car came with a Hypertech Power Programmer and the folks did some'thn through that. Never looked into it to see what they did but the 1-2 shift will dern near give ya whiplash,, even before the rebuild. I ut a "mild" performance build in it 2 years ago. Scratch'n my head on this. I know the space'n was good,, measured the "play" before the install.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Just an FYI, when I got my first stall I bought an HD2 at the same time. 90% of the local shops would not touch it unless I committed to a full tranny rebuild. They simply didn't want the liability and in this day and age I can say i understand why they would avoid the aggravation. I feel like his relatively simple question is getting blown way overboard here though.

So,, an electronic tune won't really be compatable with a "shift kit? My son has blown a pump a year for the last two years. The car came with a Hypertech Power Programmer and the folks did some'thn through that. Never looked into it to see what they did but the 1-2 shift will dern near give ya whiplash,, even before the rebuild. I ut a "mild" performance build in it 2 years ago. Scratch'n my head on this. I know the space'n was good,, measured the "play" before the install.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

@71 #'s Chevelle you are responding to threads that are 10+ years old.
Looks like 3 of them

These are dead thread. No activity.
Start your own post and ask questions if you need to. don't reincarnate dead threads
The following users liked this post:
vorteciroc (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
@71 #'s Chevelle you are responding to threads that are 10+ years old.
Looks like 3 of them

These are dead thread. No activity.
Start your own post and ask questions if you need to. don't reincarnate dead threads
Dead thred huh? Seems like people see replys and answer,, you did. I have gotten answers from old threds people reply'd to. Have a good day

Quick Reply: Shift Kit or Electronic Shift Programmer?