Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A4 lost 3rd

Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 A4 lost 3rd

So I was driving to the pool with the wife and the car lost third

No indications that there was a problem with 3rd or 4th. Previous owner put a "built" transmission in with a shift kit and some other stuff done to it. 1-2 shift has always been rough. Two weeks ago I changed the fluid and filter and replaced the 1-2 accumulator spring that was broke.

Been driving great, was grabbing 3rd gear firmly. Today out of no where it won't go into 3rd.

Is there any possible way that the 3-4 clutches are not dead?

I currently have a Jasper 4l60e sitting in my basement that I bought as a working transmission, but I do not know for certain that it is.

THis is my daily driver and I need it fixed ASAP.

Help? Suggestions? I Don't know much about transmissions
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I me and my wife smelled the fluid and it stinks bad.

1 and 2 shift fine, 3 is gone.

How much does this typically cost to fix? Lets say I remove and install the transmission myself......any general prices?

Also, I am in Mount Airy, MD. Anyone know of good tranny builders around these parts?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebufenator
Well I me and my wife smelled the fluid and it stinks bad.

1 and 2 shift fine, 3 is gone.

How much does this typically cost to fix? Lets say I remove and install the transmission myself......any general prices?

Also, I am in Mount Airy, MD. Anyone know of good tranny builders around these parts?
Where is 'around these parts' at? And if you actually yank it yourself and take it to where it needs to be replaced that will save you you a couple hundred dollars, although some shops might not warranty it, unless they put it in.
You're probably look at 1300$ to 2300$, generally towards the higher end with these newer (at least relative towards the old autos) transmissions.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

im in mount airy md 21771
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

I know it's a daily driver. It sounds like you don't ask much from it. But, you really should bite the bullet and have reputable builder go through it. Someone that specializes in that particular transmission. If you don't do it now, you'll be faced with this same scenario again sooner rather than much later. Do your homework!

Lot's of shops say they can build them, but in reality they have not built hundreds and hundreds for high power or even stock cars with a high stalling converter. Just give it some thought and take your time with this decision. Ask around to find out who the really good builders are... you'll thank yourself in the long run.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Because I am strapped for cash, I think I am going to install a Transgo HD-2 shift kit on the used Jasper 4l60e that I have on swap it in.

The transmission in my car was supposedly built by the previous owner, but i guess they did something wrong with the pressure/clutches or something. Once I have it swapped I will pull apart the old one and take some pics, but it is supposed to have 5 pinion planetaries, hardened sun shell and drum, hardened input shaft, kolene steel and red clutches, and a shift kit........
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Why not bite the bullet and take both units to someone who knows what they are doing? Are you capable of installing all of the components involved with the -2 kit? Including all of the springs behind the 3/4 springs? What about the valve body, have you ever had one apart before?

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you have not done this before and do not have the tools for it you are setting yourself up for failure. And, you'll wind up in a shouting match with your wife over it. And, it'll cost you more money in the long run. And, you'll spend more time working on the car out of frustration instead of having fun. And, you'll risk breaking something internally... I could go on. I don't have a clue about your skills and abilities. But, many have tried and many have failed my friend.

Just trying to help you help yourself.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish I could just bite the bullet, but our budget can't pay for it at this time
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question for installing the Transgo shift kit:

Right now I am not going to install the springs for the clutches. Just doing the valvebody stuff and servo stuff. The holes that are supposed to be drilled I will be going with the smaller of the two sizes.

Any other hints? I found when taking apart the servo that it already had a corvette servo.

Search this Thread