Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help and advice with flexplate wobble / runout

Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help and advice with flexplate wobble / runout

Hey guys... I have an older style 4L80E that was originally behind an older SBC 350 bolted up to my LQ9 and noticed some flexplate wobble after feeling some vibration at idle and low speed. I got under it today and set up a little rig with vice grips and a caliper and measured the runout which turned out to be .044-.046"

Is this a normal amount of play or excessive?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

That does seem excessive.

I would recommend unbolting the converter from the flexplate, shove it back and then run the motor to see if the vibration is still evident. Also, while it's unbolted check to see that the converter hub is not interfering with the crankshaft. It should rotate very freely when it's up against the flexplate and not bolted up.

And of course the flexplate could simply be warped too!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Teching In

I'll check that tomorrow, I was planning on unbolting the converter and checking to make sure it didn't need to be shimmed anyways and will see if has any play w/o the converter. The flexplate was brand new so I'd be pretty upset if it came in warped.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Cool. Glad to hear you are running a new flexplate. I doubt that's the source of your vibration.... Ten bucks says the converter is the source of the vibration. I don't recognize it. Who built it?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Heads-Up-Outlaw
Cool. Glad to hear you are running a new flexplate. I doubt that's the source of your vibration.... Ten bucks says the converter is the source of the vibration. I don't recognize it. Who built it?
As far as I know it's a factory converter, came with the 4L80E out of a 94 1ton van. Plan to be upgrading soon, but I needed to get the project moving on its own power.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Well solved the issue today, I unbolted the converter turned it around and shimmed it an all is good now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help and advice with flexplate wobble / runout