Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Z71 Suburban- 4L60e not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Z71 Suburban- 4L60e not shifting

2004 Z71 Suburban- 4L60e @140K / We had an aftermarket trans cooler added when we rebuilt the trans at 70K

Long story short. Wife complained of the DIC reading the Trans was hot.
checked the fluid and we were a quart low. (looked like it was time to change the fluids)
Decided to change the fluids and trans filter.

Completed changing the fluids and wanted to drive around to get fluids through and recheck fluid level.

When I try to shift the gears from: P - R - N - D - 3 - 2 - 1
the transmission, physically, does not shift. It remains in park.

I'm sure it is something simple. I just don't know what it is. Worked just fine before the fluid change.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Did you verify that the shift cable is attached to the transmission? Did you reattach the cable mounting bracket after the fluid change? Silly questions I know, but let's get the basic stuff out of the way first right?!!!!

When you move the shifter, can you feel the detents? is there some resistance? For example, the cable can be attached, but the manual lever might not be attached inside the transmission now for some reason.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Heads-Up-Outlaw
Did you verify that the shift cable is attached to the transmission? Did you reattach the cable mounting bracket after the fluid change? Silly questions I know, but let's get the basic stuff out of the way first right?!!!!

When you move the shifter, can you feel the detents? is there some resistance? For example, the cable can be attached, but the manual lever might not be attached inside the transmission now for some reason.

I actually read this post ( and another I think it had photos) I also viewed YouTube videos before I changed my fluids/ filter.

I found out I have a "deep pan" as I bought the shallow pan filter and it was obstructing the re-install of my pan (and the filter was not the same shape) I took it back and got the deep pan.

Anyway, I disconnected the shift cable from the transmission via the two T40 torx bolts. (real easy to remove w/ratchet as I had the transmission worked on @70K). I then pushed the shift cable back towards the rear of the vehicle. (might have put it in N - 3 - 2 or 1 gear) in order to get the pan to clear the shift cable.

When I put the pan back in, I shoved the shift cable toward the front of the vehicle to mount the shift cable bracket to the trans. Is there a possibility that the cable may have come loose somewhere because of the extra slack in the shift cable?

When I try changing the gears in the Cabin from P to R or any other gear, nothing happens. I don't feel the trans. engaging any other gears).

Without further investigation, It feels like the shift cable was not connected. BUT I re-connected it as stated above.

Last edited by Blackfly; 07-18-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yes it is possible. Set the parking brake and chock the wheels so the vehicle cannot move.

Then have someone sit inside and move the shifter while you are underneath it and watching what happens. Do that without the engine running.

The cable has an adjustment. It could be that it is waaay out of adjustment now that you tinkered with it. Do a search on how to adjust that cable. No doubt the web is full of answers. I don't mind explaining it, but go read about it and if you still don't understand holler back.

And on a side note... the debris in that p[an looks like it's full of metal. That's not good my friend. I'm afraid you're going to find that if you can get it to shift that it won't last long. Hate to say it, but that does not look good.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Heads-Up-Outlaw
Yes it is possible. Set the parking brake and chock the wheels so the vehicle cannot move.

Then have someone sit inside and move the shifter while you are underneath it and watching what happens. Do that without the engine running.

The cable has an adjustment. It could be that it is waaay out of adjustment now that you tinkered with it. Do a search on how to adjust that cable. No doubt the web is full of answers. I don't mind explaining it, but go read about it and if you still don't understand holler back.

And on a side note... the debris in that p[an looks like it's full of metal. That's not good my friend. I'm afraid you're going to find that if you can get it to shift that it won't last long. Hate to say it, but that does not look good.
Ill try tonight and look up on adjusting. thanks.

I expected that the pan should not look that bad. It's a true bummer! What happened to the Transmissions that would last AT LEAST 120-140K miles?!!

When it went out at 70K I was shocked. Here we are nearing the 70K mark again and It seems we are starting all over with a possible trans rebuild.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

I hear ya man, it can be very frustrating sometimes!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

So I removed the pan, again, and verified everything was connected. I also verified that when I move the shifter on the column, that the shift cable moves as well. So I don't think there is slack in the cable.

I put new fluid in it again because the fluid from a week ago was dirty. (the fluid in the trans must have pumped through) That's a good thing... I at least know the pump is working.

So. Before I pulled the pan, the issue with the trans was it was over heating. So maybe the fluid was just low.

Now that I changed the fluid and filter the ****** wont move out of park.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

I'm pulling the Trany.

What parts can I replace to "upgrade" the strength of my 4l60e?

@ 140K should I go ahead and replace the trans-fluid pump?

upgrade the converter??
Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Launching!

bad week for the fly's...

mine gave up the ghost a few days ago...

my fluid and pan was cleaner than yours...

Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brokenfly
bad week for the fly's...
LOL!

no ****.

Quick Reply: 2004 Z71 Suburban- 4L60e not shifting