Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E won't upshift now

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4L60E won't upshift now

I just purchased a 95 Firebird Formula with 4L60E auto transmission issue(s). Previous owner thought Solenoid A or B needed to be replaced. I drove it 30 miles home with no 1st gear, yet she took off pretty from 2nd. From what I’ve gathered, the transmission was installed within the past year and was from salvage. I was given the original transmission to take with me as well. She drove well, but had to be babied- letting off the pedal to shift from 2nd to 3Rd but if I got into it on the highway at 60 she would max RPM so I guess- no overdrive. At 1 point I cruised her up to buck 20 and was smooth running and had more pedal left. The next day I swapped the solenoids and replaced the filter as well. Took her for a run and had first back but still had to baby 2nd to 3rd. Took her out on a blacktop strip and drove about five miles out and she still seemed to have issues when getting into it at 60 or 70 MPH revving up- No over drive I’m guessing again. Brought her to a stop and started to go again finding it wouldn’t shift out of 1st gear now. Thought maybe one of the 2 Solenoids I swapped may be bad so I purchased new ones. Replaced and still can’t get out of 1st. During all servicing the fluid looked good and all is clean inside, no shavings or any kind of debris-Clean. Not sure what to do now but I’m not in the position to take it to a shop. I don’t know jack about transmissions but I got tools, two hands and brain-just really need good guidance. Also- Shifter doesn’t pull down to the L2 position but L3-D-N-R-P are all fine. Nothing changes in the Transmission Performance mode either. Don’t even know what that’s for but I tried it after losing all 2-3-4 gears. I also tried starting from L3 but no change. Anyone know this scenario? Currently, I’m hoping it’s something stuck somewhere rather than a pissed off PCM…I don’t want to drop that God forsaken pan again, but knowing my luck, jeez….Can a governor break without debris or parts flying off ? Or is this thing simply done?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderDog4All
I just purchased a 95 Firebird Formula with 4L60E auto transmission issue(s). Previous owner thought Solenoid A or B needed to be replaced. I drove it 30 miles home with no 1st gear, yet she took off pretty from 2nd. From what I’ve gathered, the transmission was installed within the past year and was from salvage. I was given the original transmission to take with me as well. She drove well, but had to be babied- letting off the pedal to shift from 2nd to 3Rd but if I got into it on the highway at 60 she would max RPM so I guess- no overdrive. At 1 point I cruised her up to buck 20 and was smooth running and had more pedal left. The next day I swapped the solenoids and replaced the filter as well. Took her for a run and had first back but still had to baby 2nd to 3rd. Took her out on a blacktop strip and drove about five miles out and she still seemed to have issues when getting into it at 60 or 70 MPH revving up- No over drive I’m guessing again. Brought her to a stop and started to go again finding it wouldn’t shift out of 1st gear now. Thought maybe one of the 2 Solenoids I swapped may be bad so I purchased new ones. Replaced and still can’t get out of 1st. During all servicing the fluid looked good and all is clean inside, no shavings or any kind of debris-Clean. Not sure what to do now but I’m not in the position to take it to a shop. I don’t know jack about transmissions but I got tools, two hands and brain-just really need good guidance. Also- Shifter doesn’t pull down to the L2 position but L3-D-N-R-P are all fine. Nothing changes in the Transmission Performance mode either. Don’t even know what that’s for but I tried it after losing all 2-3-4 gears. I also tried starting from L3 but no change. Anyone know this scenario? Currently, I’m hoping it’s something stuck somewhere rather than a pissed off PCM…I don’t want to drop that God forsaken pan again, but knowing my luck, jeez….Can a governor break without debris or parts flying off ? Or is this thing simply done?
Sorry to hear. I just lost my 2nd gear. It's either the 2nd gear band or servo. It skips 2nd and goes to 3rd. If I put the lever into 1st and try to manually shift to 2nd...no luck.

Quick Reply: 4L60E won't upshift now