Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter noise? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque converter noise? or something else?

I think it is the stock converter with 117k miles on it being launch at the track quiet a few times. I will post my post from my FB page

started making some wierd noises today out of the blue. drives perfect but noise when I hit 1500 rpm area then goes away until I go down into the 1500k area. sounds like a grass trimmer hitting concrete mixed with a softer hiss of a cat?

Sums it up about right. if you know the sounds you'll get it. Car is driving great it started this after I was pulling onto a hwy and it's like it preloaded to 3k rpm's and launch my *** done the road then it started this sound. So maybe the Converter or some close gave way. It sounds like the starter trying to start the car at 1500 that kind of sound. It's really weird due to the car driving fine.

If it is the TC I am just gonna say **** it and get a 3200 stall for my 228r cam I have waiting to be installed this late winter.

What do you guys think, put it this way. At first I thought it was the muffler or something in that system, sounded like a plate rattling. but now after I was under it, it sounds like it is coming from the front of the Transmission which was rebuilt at 98k mi w/o the Converter being upgraded.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. it does not like reverse. UGH tranny shifts perfect not a fuss. But in park, I rev it, it'll grind. Put it in D and it creeks a tiny bit going into it. Put it in rev, whole car wants to chake and it sounds like it's crying. put it in 3, 2 , 1 drives. no issues. Is it my Converter? or what?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check torque converter to flexplatebolts. Mine has similar issues. My torque converter bolts were falling out and I have 20k miles on this set up. It no longer makes the noise but I've lost 2nd and 4th and lock up. I have a thread I made yesterday and have no responses either... Kinda dead in here....