Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a small trip, now the trans isnt shifting right.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a small trip, now the trans isnt shifting right.

Well, i took my car on a little road trip with some friends from Tampa to Orlando for a car show (which turned out to be a total waste of time lol). That trip was about 180-ish miles round trip. Well as i was going to Orlando, i was cruising between 65-75 mph for roughly an hour and a half and the same while coming home. Well, once i got off the highway in Orlando, i noticed my trans wasnt shifting like it usually does. It holds the gears a little longer now and its pretty noticeable. It still down shifts on the highway and all and it still shifts, but it seems like its shifting later then it usually does. So what could this possibly mean? And should i just try to change the fluid first to see it that helps first (i just hope it doesnt need a rebuild or anything, money is REALLY tight right now) ? Ive never had a problem like this ever with my car, although this is the first time i took it on a trip like this before. My car also only has 77,000 miles on it also. Any advise would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Later shifts would point to a possible tps. maf or vss issue.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I was actually going to ask about that. See a new symptom (sp?) has came up and the idle is way high now, i think its around 900-1000 rpms. I do not have a CEL or anything flashing, so could it still be the TPS sensor? Im scared to drive the car really, i dont want to screw up the trans since this is my DD.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest that you have someone take a look at the sensors with a scanner. If there is an engine idle issue you'll most likely find your transmission issue by solving the engine performance issue.

Let us know what you find!

g
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Well, i dont know anyone with a scanner, but i think AutoZone does the scanning rom the OBD-II port for free. Can that work? Other then that, im kind of stuck with this problem until like the end of this week (with me being at work and all.) The drive to and from work is majority highway driving so i think i`ll be ok with that. The trans doesnt seem to be slipping at all which is a relief. But can there still be a code on the PCM even if the CEL isnt coming on? Sorry for the stupid questions, im not real knowlegdeable in this particular area of my car, let alone the GM cars in general.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Any ideas? Im still kind of stuck and looking for answers The transmission is still driveable though, but i just want to get this fixed as soon as possible.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The autozone scanner will not likely pick up on that issue unless check engine lights on your going to have to get to a real trans shop or performance tuning shop for diagnostics. The issue sounds like a sensor but can quikly become a real mechanical issue to in which case you are double screwed so I would not put it off.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM

Thats what mine started doing before it totally messed up! Goes into 1st fine then rpms spike & barely if not at all into 2nd! I have a scanner, the code that came up for me was 24 saying basically VSS too low... which im being told is to swap out the sensor which i havnt yet tried...will do this weekend & hopefully works idk.... as well was told that if sensor is bad then speedometer wont work...but mine does...so thats why im kinda reluctant on changin it yet ugh!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Launching!

See thats my problem. Its hard to do anything really to the car until the weekend for me, since im pretty much working 10 hour days until friday. So i have no choice to drive the car, but believe me, im trying to take it as easy as i can but thats hard for me since i take a highway everyday to and from work, maybe i can borrow my dads truck or something for the rest of the week. I dont know of any transmission shops in my area, but i can always google them and find out.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Launching!

So i officially parked my car at my parents house and now im driving my dads truck for the rest of the week to prevent any further damage, but heres my problem. My schedule at work seems to have me limited a bit. Im trying to find a transmission shop that will be open after i get off work, so here`s my question...could i just go to a regular service shop and see if they can scan my ecu for any codes, even if the CEL is not on? Im still thinking its a sensor or something thats not tripping the CEL.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try cleaning you MAF. You can do this with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Or go and get the actual electrical parts cleaner.

If your idle is still messed up then you should try and change out the TPS. They are not real expensive. Or you can borrow a known working TPS off another car and try it out to see if it fixes it or not.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I have actually thought about changing out the TPS. I know that the TPA and the VSS is not that expensive so...i might try that. I have my car at my parents house right now and its pretty much on the other side of the area and plus with work and all, time itself is not on my side to deal with this.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Well i took the car to AutoZone and they scanned the ecu and didnt find any codes or anything. I let the car sit for about the last 4 days and it seems to be shifting ok, but im still not convinced. Im going to leave it at my parents house and then i`ll change the filter and trans fluid, maybe that will help a bit, worth the shot right?. Until then, im driving my dads truck, so further damage doesnt happen.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM

& to let ya know.... i jus did vss... didnt help a bit im upset as hell! no idea what to do next... so good luck dude!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Launching!

well good but strange news. I changed out my fluid and filter on Saturday and the car seems to be working smoothly again. I finally got it on the highway this morning during morning traffic and it performed smoothly as well. I find it strange though, i guess it makes sense i guess by just changing out the fluid and filter helped out. The pan looked really good, almost spotless. So, i guess all is good for right now, im still keeping an eye on it, just in case and im also just going to take it easy and just drive as normal as possible.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can test your TPS with a voltmeter.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Yea, i read about that and i do have a voltmeter, but since my trans is working pretty good, i`ll hold off on that. I`ll drive it around for a few days and see how it runs. So far its running pretty good.