Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e won't shift

i installed a new to me trans in my trans am (1979)... I put the car in gear and the car won't move in any gear range..... I check the trans fluid level with the car off then while it was running no level changed (When i got the trans I drained the fluid and changed the filter 8.5 quarts didn't fill the tc) pulled the trans line while the car was running and nothing next dropped the trans the tc was dry) I think the pump is no good....

If the pump failed... I the trans shot... is the tc also gone... Is there a way to have the tc checked
Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good chance that if the pump has failed the converter is okay. It is a very common mistake to not get the converter installed properly and then break the pump during the transmission installation.

If the unit is in decent shape, then having the pump replaced is a good option at this point.

The only way to properly check the integrity of the converter is to have it cut open by professionals. But, if you do not see any visible debris in the bottom of the pan it should be okay.

g