Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carnage pics and reinstallation q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carnage pics and reinstallation q's

Broke the flexplate bolts that mount to the torque converter autoxing. Took out the trans to see this

After taking off the flexplate here is what it looks like on the other side, the flexplate stretched towards the converter before the bolts let loose

Guy at the trans shop said I should get a new converter since the mounting plates were no longer perfectly flat so I ended up getting a used converter and trans with less miles on them.

1st question, what is the hose on the top of the trans? Is it just a breather or does it need to be plugged in somewhere? It's been a month so I'm forgetting little things.

2nd I got some arp bolts for the flexplate to tq converter but they are shorter than what was provided in my tci flexplate kit. I don't have the originals to compare since they fragged. Anyone know the torque specs?

3rd the starter teeth have been pitted a bit, safe to re-use or would it mess up my flexplate teeth?

4th The little 10mm bolts that go to the back of the block, some of those were loose. Anyone ever have that happen to them?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

1. Yep that's simply a case vent. All the trans I have seen don't have any hose there.
2. I tighten my converter bolts as tight as I can get them.
3. Pics?
4. The vibration from the destruction could have caused the rear cover to be damaged. I would thoroughly inspect it, and also consider replacing the rear main seal while the trans is out.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Thats good advice... but I would add that you very well might want to check your crankshaft thrust while you have it apart. Just make sure your crank isn't walking.

g
Old 08-12-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

To check for crankshaft thrust do I just use a dial indicator? what are the tolearances?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

So this is what it looks like with the flexplate off

Cracked the oil pan, my fingers are pointing to the 2 places it broke

So as it stands if I take the main cover gasket off I might not be able to get it back on. Now have any of you ran these motors with just the flexplate attached? I know it's something I should be careful about but I want to see if I put a gasket maker on there (I have gorilla gasket, feel free to add in any product you would reccomend) and run the motor for a few minutes to see if it leaks. If it still does it can't be helped i'll replace the pan and cover, but if I can avoid it I will avoid it. Thanks so far for the help

regarding the starter it looks good.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to speak to the hose in your original post. It is a vent hose. Just make sure it's tied to the chassis somewhere and you'll be fine.

The rear cover will come off easily and go back on easily. You might want to consider resealing it and replacing the rear main seal at the same time.

To check the thrust you can take a prybar or long screw driver and use it at the front and rear of the engine to walk the crank back and forth. You should only be able to move it a few thousanths of an inch.

As far as the oil pan... You can try to seal it externally, but don't be surpised if it continues to leak. If it were mine I would remove it, clean it and have it welded.

And yes i have ran engines without the transmission bolted up in order to diagnose various issues.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to call me.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Cranking a engine without a convertor sounds cool. Revs like a sportbike
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

After seeing that pic I would replace the rear cover and oil pan.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you need someone to fix the pan i do aluminum welding, if you want to sell it to me cheap ill buy it or send it to me and ill weld it up and send it back
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm...this makes me reconsider using a (brand new) factory flexplate instead of an SFI approved one. Doing a 4L80e/turbo LS1 build with a pricey converter. It'd be a bummer to damage the rear cover or torque converter...let alone the hassle of having to fix it all.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Factory flexplate sucks. I cracked mine in three places. I now use either TCI or Hughes.

Quick Reply: carnage pics and reinstallation q's