Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 4l60E messed up?

Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my 4l60E messed up?

Is it possible for a transmission to all of a sudden bog down the engine?
My new setup was dyno tuned today and there is a problem we believe to be because of the transmission. Every time at about 4,500-4,800 rpm the power curve will dip down then go back up after that RPM range. You can hear the engine changing pitch when it does it. It's as if something is bogging down the engine at that RPM range every time. These are 3rd gear pulls and it does it with the converter locked or unlocked. The trans has some upgraded parts (corvette servo, shift kit, beast sunshell, better clutches) and a Yank SS3200 converter.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I really cannot think of any trans issue that would cause this, Basicallya trans does one of two things it either transfers power or slips and slipping would be obvious.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Valve float maybe. I had the same problem up top. Swapped out the springs and problem solved.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah sounds more like weak springs or a tuning issue than transmission.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I've talked to my engine builder. He said it wouldn't be anything mechanical like valve springs. It only does it in a certain RPM range. It clears up above that RPM so that tells you it isn't springs.
It's probably in the tune or a sensor acting up. Maybe the distributor messing up in that frequency.
Actually I found a vacuum leak from a split vacuum line. It would leak off and on depending on where you wiggled the hose. It's possible when the engine started to rotate under heavy load, it would then leak. That's what I'm hoping anyhow.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ralls
Thanks guys. I've talked to my engine builder. He said it wouldn't be anything mechanical like valve springs. It only does it in a certain RPM range. It clears up above that RPM so that tells you it isn't springs.
It's probably in the tune or a sensor acting up. Maybe the distributor messing up in that frequency.
Actually I found a vacuum leak from a split vacuum line. It would leak off and on depending on where you wiggled the hose. It's possible when the engine started to rotate under heavy load, it would then leak. That's what I'm hoping anyhow.
How did this turn out? I just got mine back together after a broken rear end. The car sat for 14 months. I tried to maintain the battery but found that it went bad. My car does this at partial throttle as soon as it shifts to third.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Still have not got it tuned yet. In the next couple weeks hopefuly.

Search this Thread