Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No shift to 3rd @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No shift to 3rd @ WOT

I have a '99 Formula, stock minus bolt ons, no stall, A4.

All shifts are fine and seem adequate under partial throttle.

At WOT 1-2 gears shift fine, as 2nd runs to redline, the car will never shift to 3rd. If I let off the gas, it will then shift into 3rd. Trans fluid looks and smells fine, going to check it again here after work. No CEL, though I will look for soft codes/history tomorrow.

I've done a search but didn't find any really relevant threads. I was hoping some of the trans gurus in this section might be able to give me a bit of wisdom and send me off to narrow down the possibilities. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the transmission calibration been tuned/changed from stock at all?

I had a similar issue and came to find out the shift times were set too low (for quicker shifting) and the result was the transmission not shifting at all during WOT. I guess the internals of the transmission just weren't good enough to work with the additions I made to the motor. After increasing the shift time... surprise surprise, the damn thing started shifting again. I was stupid and hard headed; thinking "no way could that be the problem" and went as far as swapping in a different transmission before messing with the tune. Sure enough, the same thing happened with the other transmission... shifted fine driving around, nothing at WOT, 1st to 2nd didn't work, 2nd to 3rd, etc. As soon I upped the shift speeds to .5 instead of 0, the damn thing shifted great.

Sorry I rambled a little there... let us know if any tuning has been done. Also curious about the amount of miles on the transmission.

Thanks.

Brad
Old 08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifts tables may need to be adjusted, but if this is a new symptom then there is an issue with the 3/4 clutches.

Has this car been modified in the past and put back stock? There are lots of those cars floating around out there in that state. Just curious.

You might have a Tuner burn a stock file into your PCM and go from there...

g