Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600whp+ TH400 build up suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600whp+ TH400 build up suggestions

So im finally getting my budget turbo lm7 mustang going and am looking for some help with what parts to get to have the th400 im getting hold the power.

motors a basic low mile junkyard lm7 with:
arp headstuds and rodbolts
ls9 headgaskets
02 z06 cam and springs
ls6 intake with ported tb
and supportting fuel(60 or 80lb inj, big pump & lines yada yada)
hoping to run it on 14-18psi on a t76 and racegas or e85.

now im just trying to figure out what parts to get on a budget that will build a th400 thatll hold my power goals. no need for a transbrake, figured that itd be a footbrake car.

the helps greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ben
Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please help me out guys!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would consider a transbrake on a turbo car.

You can look at the build list for the Stage II TH400 on my website to get an idea what I would suggest.

A good quality rebuild, some additonal locations rollerized with torrington bearings, a 34 element sprag and appropriate drum, heavy case snap ring, and, valve body mods, and attention to detail on the build.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your gonna really wish you went with a t brake the first time it pushes through the footbrake at 2500rpm and you find yourself unable to build any boost and frustrated with lazy 60's.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Ben, As all have said. It doesnt cost much more for a t-brake than full manual. With the turbo you will like it. What converter did you go with? We offer a discount on converter & transmission combos. Look at the level 4 unit on our website.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang how'd I miss this thread... my bad buddy!

No doubt about it. If you're going to build a turbo car you really should go with a trans brake. If not you'll be leaving gobs of E.T. and MPH on the table should you ever go to the track. Besides, just because you have one does not mean you need to use it. many, many street machines have trans brakes that rarely get used.

For what you're asking of it, really it does not need too many internal upgrades. A good intermediate sprag and related drum upgrade, nice soft parts, a few traditional/custom internal hydraulic modifications.. a very nice valve body and you're there. Typically a stout TH400 can be built for anywhere between $1,500 - $2,100 depending on what components your budget allows you to go with.

If it is a bottom dollar budget deal... get a core and have a reputable builder go through it and pimp that until you get the car sorted out and then go with a racing unit that is custom built for your needs. I have many clients that have gone that route and are quite satisfied with their transmission.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to give me a call. I wouldn't mind discussing your overall project in detail with you at any point along the way.... Good luck with it!

g
Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Ben, As all have said. It doesnt cost much more for a t-brake than full manual. With the turbo you will like it. What converter did you go with? We offer a discount on converter & transmission combos. Look at the level 4 unit on our website.

Greg
GREG my man! Where you been buddy? Hiding in the shop? This is Jarrod Chalkley's new car owner btw if you don't remember...

Quick Reply: 600whp+ TH400 build up suggestions