Sponsored by:

4l60E on first gen smallblock

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4l60E on first gen smallblock

Hey all,

Just bought a 68 Camaro. The plan is to purchase an LS1/4l60E combo. I'd like to install the 4l60E with the carbed Gen1 smallblock currently in the vehicle. I know it would take an aftermarket controller, but would it take an aftermarket flexplate or bellhousing adapter?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to do this, or just wait until I can afford the rest of the parts needed for the LS1 swap and just do it all at once. I assume the stock LS1 computer controls the trans too? Or would I need the aftermarket controller anyways?

Basically I'm trying to determine the amount of money potentially saved by having overdrive sooner, versus not having the fuel savings but also not having to purchase an aftermarket controller/harness (plus whatever else).
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question!

If it were my project car I believe I would start with deciding how much of beast the car will be when it "grows up". Meaning, if it's a completely bone stock application, then go out and find a donor car and just remove and install everything... engine, pcm, transmission, converter etc....

But, if it's going to be a warmed over street machine... then decide on the engine combination, decide on a torque converter, go with a high end reputable transmission builder and then get a harness and PCM from John at Speartech.

The factory PCM would be your best best as it would be the most cost effective way to go. If you'd like to discuss it in detail just give me a shout and I'll help you along the way!

g
Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

Mainly what I need to know is what mechanical components I need to get the LS-4l60E to mount to the gen 1 2-piece rear main SBC. I see GMPP makes an adapter kit, but it says it's for a 1 piece RMS SBC.

Others have said I need a non-LS torque converter, but a non LS converter should mount to the standard, non-adapted SBC flexplate. So it's a bit confusing.

For a controller, I think I may just build a GPIO megasquirt trans-controller for it.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Perhaps I am in uncharted territory?

Quick Reply: 4l60E on first gen smallblock