Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TQ converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question TQ converter

OK so this is my 2nd thread on this Topic. I rebuilt my trans at Aamco about 6 years ago and they replaced the torque converter at that time. I know that it was a cheap converter maybe a couple of hundred dollars and it has lasted and is still good. The engine is coming out this coming weekend for some work and i want to change it again. I was looking at Summit's site and i see most of what they have for my car and price range are TCI. B&M and Hughes. This is my DD I DO NOT RACE!!! period! I drive my Z on the weekend and maybe once a week to work. I am NEVER above 5000 rpm's and do not abuse it. Of the 3 which would be the best choice? Seriously I know a lot of you guy's like the high dollar converters because of what you do to them. I could go to Aamco and get another one of those they put in last time but I would like something a little bit better. I'm going with maybe a 2600 stall. Do I need a 2600 Flash Stall or just a 2600 Stall. Thanx for any and all help.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand you not wanting a pricier Yank or Circle D, so I would look into PTC if I were you. For around $500, you can get a decent converter, although it will be non-billet. Also, you could put in the Circle D 278mm. Check it out here--http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx
This is the converter I have, and it is very DD friendly. It is non-billet, so it isn't as expensive as others. You won't really be able to tell it's stalled until you mash it (which, from the way it sounds like you drive your car, might be never). I drives very tight. What are you wanting from the stall--just a little more pep without the car feeling like you have a stall? Or, are you looking for a looser, stalled feel, just not a very high flash stall? If the former, then I suggest the Circle D, if the latter, I suggest a PTC as I have heard they are a little looser than others. I will say, however, that 2600-2800 is not very much of a stall. I think the stock is 1800 or something. I know I am already wanting more stall, and I just put mine in back in March. I ignored people's warnings when they told me to go bigger than I thought because I will end up wanted more. I ignored them, and now I'm wishing I didn't. Hope this helps...

Scott
Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just noticed in your original post you were looking for recommendations from TCI, B&M, or Hughes. I haven't heard much about B&M or Hughes for our cars, but I wouldn't recommend TCI to you at all. I've heard some scary stuff about their converters, and it is not just hearsay. One of the guys I talked to was my trans builder.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Just noticed in your original post you were looking for recommendations from TCI, B&M, or Hughes. I haven't heard much about B&M or Hughes for our cars, but I wouldn't recommend TCI to you at all. I've heard some scary stuff about their converters, and it is not just hearsay. One of the guys I talked to was my trans builder.

Thanx for the reply. Really what i want is just a New Torque Converter,I don't dislike the one I have now which is probebly less than the stock one because it was installed by Aamco. I had another post, but what i got out of it was that if i didn't buy one of the $900 units I would be sorry. Well......to say..I'm not stupid! Of all the units that get installed in this country they can't all be garbage, just a fact. I'd really like to know what came in my car stock, what brand and what stall? I drive this car on the weekend for a couple of hours. The 3 I mentioned in my OP is what Summit sells. I just can't believe they would sell junk. Maybe TCI isn't the best but...I don't know this. I would like to hear from some people that have just a Normal
Car! I come here because this is the knowledge base for our cars, BUT.....I just can't believe there is no one out there that just replaces their converter with a regular converter that is good. I may need to search elsewhere.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I understand what you are saying about not wanting anything too radical. The stock stall speed is something like 1600-1800. The stock torque converter, if you pull it, will say "TMax" on it. I don't think it's anything special, except for the division or company that made them for GM.

While you may trust Summit as a company, you still have to be careful what you buy from them. TCI is a big company and mass produces stalls, which means they will have a harder time keeping up with tolerances and quality control. There is a thread somewhere where a guy compared a Vigilante stall with a TCI, both cut open. In the pictures, you can see the TCI has an extremely small clutch lining (actually the unit he cut open had the clutch lining go bad. Check it out here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f64/converter-101-a-131632/

With something like a torque converter that's constantly spinning and has the ability to trash the transmission at any moment should something even slightly go wrong, I wouldn't take any chances with a company that has been known to have problems. I can't speak for B&M or Hughes, but I would take a careful look at the construction and, if you can, internals (i.e., size of lockup clutch) before buying a brand that you can't find anyone else's experience with.

I'm not trying to push you to buy anything, but in this case, you really do get what you pay for. You can buy a well built converter without spending a lot of money, but I wouldn't go trying to find the cheapest one you can get either.

Scott
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
I understand what you are saying about not wanting anything too radical. The stock stall speed is something like 1600-1800. The stock torque converter, if you pull it, will say "TMax" on it. I don't think it's anything special, except for the division or company that made them for GM.

While you may trust Summit as a company, you still have to be careful what you buy from them. TCI is a big company and mass produces stalls, which means they will have a harder time keeping up with tolerances and quality control. There is a thread somewhere where a guy compared a Vigilante stall with a TCI, both cut open. In the pictures, you can see the TCI has an extremely small clutch lining (actually the unit he cut open had the clutch lining go bad. Check it out here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f64/converter-101-a-131632/

With something like a torque converter that's constantly spinning and has the ability to trash the transmission at any moment should something even slightly go wrong, I wouldn't take any chances with a company that has been known to have problems. I can't speak for B&M or Hughes, but I would take a careful look at the construction and, if you can, internals (i.e., size of lockup clutch) before buying a brand that you can't find anyone else's experience with.

I'm not trying to push you to buy anything, but in this case, you really do get what you pay for. You can buy a well built converter without spending a lot of money, but I wouldn't go trying to find the cheapest one you can get either.

Scott
Well thanx Scott for your input. It looks like you have a lot more knowledge than I. But again there are literally thousands of converters sold out there that are not Yank or Circle-D and are perfectly Good converters that is what i am wanting to know about. I guess i will go talk to the guy at Aamco on Monday.Looks like here people only want tp push the HP Racing stuff and i don't race. Thanx anyhow.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you aren't looking for performance no reason to change it. If you are wanting a little performance increase I would suggest a Circle D or Yank in the $400 range.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
If you aren't looking for performance no reason to change it. If you are wanting a little performance increase I would suggest a Circle D or Yank in the $400 range.
The Real reason I'm thinking of changing it is because it has more miles on it that most member cars.

Thanx I'm looking into maybe a Circl-D they have 2 under $400, but Yank...it'll never happen. I think those guy's are nuts. Maybe if I were Don Garlits...lol
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

again anyone use B&M or Hughes?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

I just realized that Revmax is right around the corner from me so i will go and talk to them tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Revmax
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Noooooo! Don't do revmax! Save your pennies and get one from a reputable company
because its gonna cost you more when you blow your trans.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Revmax
Have you had one?
Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by a-low
Noooooo! Don't do revmax! Save your pennies and get one from a reputable company
because its gonna cost you more when you blow your trans.
Did you have one go bad?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Red face 3 strikes and your out

OK I will try again. I want to replace my torque converter in my 1998 Z28 A4. I want a replacement that is the same as what I have now almost. I have a couple of questions that maybe some one could kindly answer without saying Yank, Circle-D or Vigilante.

my STOCK converter does it lock up?

My Stock converter what is the stall?

Who sells a Good replacement for THIS converter?

Is Daaco the best I can get to have a replacement stock converter?

I want the best gas mileage i can possibly get, yes i CARE!

I never go to the Track with my car and don't care to. I like driving my Z that is why I bought it. The trans will be out of the car and I want to replace it, it has way over 100,000 miles on it. Would B&M be a Good choice for a STOCK Converter?

This is the only time that I have come here for help and have not been able to get an answer. Your KILLING me lol.

I would hate to put the motor back in and have to pull the trans in a few months only to start this all over again.

Does anybody here know anything about just driving a regular stock. Z28?

Thank You to anyone that can help me with this knowledge.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you contacted any of the Sponsors here in order to get an answer? If not, why not? I have personally worked with each and every one of them and know them to be truly knowledgeable guys. They will all have very good and detailed answers for you... and no you do not need to spend an arm and a leg on a 'big box" brand converter. I personally would never order a stock converter from B&M, why in the hell would I want to pay to have their name on it?

If you are looking for cheap.. then yeah go with a Daacco. If you want okay, get in the local Yellowpages and look under Torque Converters for a local shop and have them build you one. Chances are they have one on the shelf. Chances are any one of the Sponsors here has one on the shelf ready to go... but it will be a much better value for the money you will spend!

Call me, I do not manufacture converters... but I do deal with some 5 or 6 companies regularly. Hughes, ATI, Transmission Specialties, Neil Chance Racing Converters, CircleD, Yank.... I could go on. Call me and I'll help you understand what you are looking for bud.

g
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Stock stall is roughly 18-2200. It is a lock-up converter (though the lock up clutch is shitty). All stock replacements are just going to be remanufactured stock units, so you cant really go wrong. It would be cost prohibitive for the companies to make completely new ones.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes as a matter of fact on a th350/350 combo lasted me about a year on a dd.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I found a local company about a mile from my house. The guy's name is Tom and he invited me down to look at his shop and show me how things are built / rebuilt. He said i could get a rebuilt a little better on the stall for about $200 and if I wanted a 9 1/2" better than stock for about $350. I will be taking him up on his offer tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Stock stall is roughly 18-2200. It is a lock-up converter (though the lock up clutch is shitty). All stock replacements are just going to be remanufactured stock units, so you cant really go wrong. It would be cost prohibitive for the companies to make completely new ones.
OK that is what I need to know Thank you.

Quick Reply: TQ converter