Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clicking/grinding noise when selecting first?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clicking/grinding noise when selecting first?

I've had this car about a week... As I was leaving work this morning, I tried to manually select first gear for the first time (I've been using OD, and I've used D once or twice). I heard a clicking sound, seems like it's trying and failing to hit first gear. After hearing it, I put it back in OD. I noticed I had an SES (never got it read). I pulled onto a back road, and the tranny would only go into 2nd and 3rd (limp mode?), even from a stop. No OD. Still no manually selecting first. I stopped for ~10mins, started the car back up, and she drove fine with the selector in OD. With the selector in OD or D, she starts in first and runs through all the gears just fine. I can put it in 2 and she'll take off in 2... But when I try to select 1st, I still hear the clicking noise. I can feel the tranny try to shift into first, but as soon as I give it gas, I hear a clicking noise, and it feels like it's not all the way in gear (I tried it once, that's it... AT's are magic black boxes to me), but when in OD or D first works just fine. Is this a tranny issue or is the linkage out of whack?

The only tranny mod that I know of is a Yank 4000 stall and a trans cooler.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

new symptom... There is a wierd whirring-type noise and a vibration, almost like a shudder, when in third gear. Haven't really noticed it in OD.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does sound like there is an internal condition causing your symptoms. And yes that is the limp mode you are feeling when the SES lamp is on.

The first thing to do is to determine what the code is/are and get back to us. Feel free to give me a call to discuss it if you like.

g
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

crap... I reset the PCM manually already. Maybe it'll throw it again.