Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy 1-2 shift 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy 1-2 shift 4L60E

Hey guys, I have a problem with the transmission on my 2002 Z-28. From a stop, the car takes a long time to shift from 1 -2. It basically goes to about 4500 before it shifts. If I try to get on it I'll ping the rev limiter and I have to lay off it before it will shift. I have the same problem if I'm driving on the freeway at about 65, if I try to get on it it bounces up to the rev limiter and I have to lay off of it to get it to shift. It almost feels like it's slipping.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? This came out of nowhere and I'm trying to see if I am going to need a rebuild or not and what I should expect to pay. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, think of it this way... the band inside the transmission is applied in 2nd and 4th gear. You are complaining about 2nd and 4th gear slippage so it seems as though the band has worn out or there is a problem with the servo or maybe other hydraulic components like maybe a broken accumulator piston. Some of those we plastic from the factory and they're known for cracking! Unfortunately it appears as though your transmission has suffered an internal failure and it needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

A well built unit can run as little as $1,400 and a nice racing piece can get to be well over $3,000. It all depends on your specific needs.

If you'd like to discuss it with me, i wouldn't mind helping you to understand a few options you may not be aware of. Don't hesitate to give me a call.

g

Quick Reply: Lazy 1-2 shift 4L60E