Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e no 1st or 4th gear

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e no 1st or 4th gear

I have a 95 z28 and today when leaving work i lost first and fourth gear. I am having problems finding a scan tool that works on my car to check for codes, so i am wondering could the car be in limp mode or have i lost power to the transmission? I installed all new shift solenoids and changed oil and filter, still having the same problem.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Try to remember the last time you used them, and start looking there. I do that with my keys all the time
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I am pretty sure thats a planet broken sun gear or a broken planetry
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Try to remember the last time you used them, and start looking there. I do that with my keys all the time
Lol!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Do the gears come back intermittently or are they completely out?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a very distinct possiblity that the screen on the 2/3 downshift solenoid is clogged with debris not allowing it to exhaust properly. If thats the case then some intersting and odd symptoms take place. Actautor Feed oil will be restricted and subsequently the shift valves will not stroke properly.

Does it have manual low? And will shift out to third manualy but stay in third? Or does it neutralize when it goes for the 3/4 shift?

g
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Do the gears come back intermittently or are they completely out?
They are completely out no 1st or 4th gear.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
There is a very distinct possiblity that the screen on the 2/3 downshift solenoid is clogged with debris not allowing it to exhaust properly. If thats the case then some intersting and odd symptoms take place. Actautor Feed oil will be restricted and subsequently the shift valves will not stroke properly.

Does it have manual low? And will shift out to third manualy but stay in third? Or does it neutralize when it goes for the 3/4 shift?

g
I can shift it into 1st gear but it acts as if i have a trans brake. It will not move un less i shift in to 2nd gear . If i shift from 3rd to 4th it stays in 3rd.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM

When did you install the solenoids? Before this issue or after? When you say that you only have 2nd and 3rd gear are you manually shifting this trans? Also do you have a TG hd-2 kit installed in this trans?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like solenoids to me too but you need to get codes to be sure
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince B
When did you install the solenoids? Before this issue or after? When you say that you only have 2nd and 3rd gear are you manually shifting this trans? Also do you have a TG hd-2 kit installed in this trans?
I installed the solenoids after i had the issue. And it does not mater if i shift manually or have it in drive. And the solenoids are factory.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2004yjgto
sounds like solenoids to me too but you need to get codes to be sure
I think the same but seeing how the solenoids are new they should be working fine. But i am having a problem finding a code reader that works on my car.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Teching In

no ides then I need a t 56!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TheOdgeMan
no ides then I need a t 56!
Let's get back to my original comment...

Shift solenoids and the 2/3 downshift solenoid are two completely different animals. I know you said you replaced "all new shift solenoids", but please clarify and tell me if you replaced the 2/3 downshift solenoid or at least removed it to inspect the screen for excessive debris.

Also, as Vince asked previously... is this transmission equipped with a Trans-Go HD2 Reprogramming Kit?

g
Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Let's get back to my original comment...

Shift solenoids and the 2/3 downshift solenoid are two completely different animals. I know you said you replaced "all new shift solenoids", but please clarify and tell me if you replaced the 2/3 downshift solenoid or at least removed it to inspect the screen for excessive debris.

Also, as Vince asked previously... is this transmission equipped with a Trans-Go HD2 Reprogramming Kit?

g
I replaced all the solenoids on the valve body including the 3/2 downshift solenoid. And i also replaced the wiring harness. don't now if i have the trans go kit the transmission was in the car when i got it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Teching In

something new, when i put the car in park down hill sometimes it makes a popping noise and acts like it is in neutral? Will the transmission shift gears if i unplug the wiring harness ?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

It is not abnormal for the car to roll downhill forward or backward when you place the shifter into park. If it only rolls a little ways and the lurches to a stop then that is the parking pawl mechanism finding it's way into the cogs on the transmission output assembly.

If you unplug the transmission it will not upshift.

Have you gotten a scanner on it yet to determine what the PCM is commanding vs. what is taking place?

g
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheOdgeMan
I can shift it into 1st gear but it acts as if i have a trans brake. It will not move un less i shift in to 2nd gear . If i shift from 3rd to 4th it stays in 3rd.

Sounds like an internal trans problem.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

It is not abnormal for the car to roll downhill forward or backward when you place the shifter into park. If it only rolls a little ways and the lurches to a stop then that is the parking pawl mechanism finding it's way into the cogs on the transmission output assembly.

If you unplug the transmission it will not upshift.

Have you gotten a scanner on it yet to determine what the PCM is commanding vs. what is taking place?

g
I adjusted the shift cable and the parking brake works good. If i unplug the transmission i still have 2nd and 3rd ? Does a 95' camaro have a transmission fuse or relay? Could it be that i had a bad solenoid and it blew the fuse or relay and the pcm is still in limp mode?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have any information retaining which scan tool will work on my 95' z28 Camaro? I cant fined one that works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e no 1st or 4th gear