Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny wont shift properly :/

Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny wont shift properly :/

Just happened today after an alignment fix. drove all the way home in 1st or 2nd gear. I added half a quart of transmission fluid and it didnt help. the reason y i say 1st or 2nd gear is because i dont know if its stuck or not. It shifts into Park, reverse, and neutral, but when i put it in Drive or Overdrive (the "D" with the square around it i think" it stays in one gear.

I drove it around the block and went 6000 rpm then dropped it to "L" and it downshifted. Then i drove it from "L" and tried upshifting to "2" but didnt.

Before i panic, and say the tranny is blown out, i wanted to see some others input. I've read on ls1.com that it could be the shift linkage...but i dont know where that is let alone fix it. If possible, someone pls post a pic as to where AND how to check/fix the shift linkage is.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The external shift linkage is on the drivers side of the trans. Based on what you have said this doesn't seem like the issue to me. Now the internal linkage I'm not as familiar with.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason can you tell me what the fluid condition is like? Is it dark colored or is it bright red?

The condition you have described is a default situation. We refer to it as as "Limp Mode". Meaning, the computer has seen something wrong and is not allowing the transmission to upshift. Is the Service Engine Soon lamp on? If so, record the fault codes and then erase them, drive it and see if the condition persists.

Give me a call if you like and we can discuss it in detail.

g

Search this Thread