Sponsored by:

2 Transmissions, 2 Rebuilds

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Transmissions, 2 Rebuilds

I have (2) 4L60E Transmissions.

The first, is in my car. Won't shift into 3rd gear at WOT, and only at WOT for now. The 3-4 clutch pack is on it's way out, as lots of people have told me. That being said, it's need to be rebuilt.

The second, has no bell housing, has no tail housing and is sitting on my garage floor. I think it had similar issues, I bought it for $100.

The plan is to rebuild the extra one, swap it out for the one in my car. And now I have 1 good trans in my car, and one that needs a rebuild.

I will be rebuilding these transmissions myself. I have books, dvds, manuals etc and the list of special tools to buy.

How should I rebuild them? I would prefer to build my extra one with a basic stock rebuild kit. If I screw it up, I didn't just waste $500+ on a rebuild kit. The second one, once it's out of the car, can get rebuilt with a ridiculous kit, or parts from kits. It can take forever and as much money as possible.

Suggestions on what kits to get? Driveability doesn't have to be fantastic on the stock build, winter is coming and I'm getting another 3000GT VR-4 just for the snow. The T/A will be in a garage if there is snow on the ground.