Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

century stage 4 4l60e?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question century stage 4 4l60e?

I found one for sale for $1500 claims to be "freshened up by a.r.d" and comes with a vigilante 3800 stall "freshened up " by circle D he claims it has 0 miles on it(i assume from the rebuild) and it is for the f-body. I was wondering if any one can tell me if century makes good transmissions, and if you have heard of this a.r.d, and if this would be a good deal, im looking for a good 4l60e for my 99 trans am that can stand up to 600rwhp. plz inform me i know jack dittly about transmissions.

edit I also found this http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2558206692.html and was wondering if this would be as good or better.

Last edited by Faught; 09-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Century has a good reputation. However, I have not been into one of their high end builds so I cannot speak to that particular transmissions' ability to handle 600 h/p. I have no clue who ARD is. So I cannot speak to what they may or may have not done. And I have been into many, many different shops transmissions over the years.

I personally would be concerned about any transmission that has seen big power. The 400 for sale in the craigslist ad looks like a decent deal too... but neither of us knows what sort of life that transmission has led.

When you buy a used or freshly rebuild transmission you get what you pay for. Not being negative, just calling it like it is. There are some good sellers, and some less than good sellers out there. I guess it boils down to ones budget vs. expectations. Meaning, if you cannot afford a new unit from a Sponsor here, then I say go for a used unit or a freshly rebuilt unit. You just have to know that either one may not live long at all. If you can assume that risk, I say go for it!

g
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

well i got a lot of good pms too. Im now looking at a performabuild lvl2, good to 700hp and it is easier on my wallet than a RPM lvl 6 or FTL lvl 5 both good for about 600hp, now all i have to think about is the converter I have been looking at circle D for a while now and i live real close to them
Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would call Century and ask their thoughts on your particular project and the transmission in question. RPM, Performabuilt, and FLT all have great reputations here as well.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I would call Century and ask their thoughts on your particular project and the transmission in question. RPM, Performabuilt, and FLT all have great reputations here as well.
well i have talked with a lot of guys on here and on other sites, probably about 35 people and they claim to have nothing but problems with Century transmissions new or rebuilt. and about 20 of the 35 recommend performabuilt over any other transmission they have used.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Performabuilt from what I can tell has a solid reputation here. They stand behind their stuff, and are very helpful. Don't know what else you could ask from a vendor
Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faught
well i got a lot of good pms too. Im now looking at a performabuild lvl2, good to 700hp and it is easier on my wallet than a RPM lvl 6 or FTL lvl 5 both good for about 600hp, now all i have to think about is the converter I have been looking at circle D for a while now and i live real close to them
Our Level 6 is good to 700rwhp. We give our transmissions a real world power rating to give them a long life. If you have any questions or would like to talk to about our builds I'd be happy to talk to you.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not a big fan of a used transmission, unless you know the source 100%....way to many variables. But I would love to help you on the converter when you are ready.

Chris

Quick Reply: century stage 4 4l60e?