Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced A4 guys, Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced A4 guys, Please help!!

I'm a little inexperienced with autos as i've always had m6 cars, i helped a friend switch out a bad tranny in his 94 trans am. The replacement tranny was from a 94 camaro that was being switched to m6 (what he was told). At this point the only difference we could spot was the inspection cover mounting was different and the splines on the output shaft were either shorter or longer (cant remember now) but the length of the shaft was the same. Didn't do much research beforehand to see what would interchange. Anyways, the old tranny did not have a torque converter clutch (tcc) solenoid but the replacement did. So i figured i'd take the tcc out of the replacement to make it similar to the old. Or at least try this first. After we got the replacement in and fired up, the car does not have a reverse. The tires spin forward in every gear including reverse. Is not having the tcc in the problem? Or does it sound like a different year tranny that needs something changed? Any help is much appreciated!! -Cody
Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Any ideas anyone?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a while since I've thought about that swap... I read this thread yesterday and intended on doing some research for ya. but I just haven't had the time to do so.

Give me a day or so and I'll see what i can put together for you.... Maybe someone else will have some insight in the meantime.

g
Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The 94 f-bodies had the same trans. If what you got was different then it wasn't a 94 transmission. During the middle 90s the 4l60e made changes affecting what years can be swapped and which can't. As for 98-02 we can swap around with no ill effects for example. This may help:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ns-4l60es.html
Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I think the issue is going to be that the early unit it not PWM and the later PCM is. But I'll look at it when I get time... Thanks for the link Steve.

g
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 AM
Teching In

yes, thanks for the link..some really good info in there. I appreciate it Gilbert! If there's a way to make this work, that'd be ideal. But if not, guess he's s.o.l!