Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many people have successfully rebuilt their own 4l60e?
Yes I have and am awesome!
0%
No, I had to take it to someone to fix
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Advice/Info on Rebuilding 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice/Info on Rebuilding 4l60e

G'day all
I'm new to this site and am in need of advice on rebuilding my 2002 4l60e transmission.
Some background:
I have just installed a new cam (lunati voodoo 227/233), cnc ported heads (11.1 comp) as well as 80mm tb, 1 3/4 4into1 headers,100cpi cats, dual 2 1/2 exhaust, otrcai, underdrive, 2.73 diff gears.
The trans was working fine before I made the above mods but getting a bit tired (90,000 miles)
I am fitting a 3500 stall converter (very high I know, car is a weekend driver with trips to the strip planned).
Based on the above I have decided to rebuild the transmission myself before I take it to get dyno tuned and start having fun with it as I know with the extra torque and the higher stall the standard trans won't last long!
I had a bad experience with a trans builder on the east coast of the states(won't say who)earlier this year. I only received part of the transmission and it was for earlier 700-4 and after months of **** fitting I got some money back.
I have heard of other peoples bad experiences with so called heavy duty boxes that they have bought from a couple of trans builders here in perth (Australia) that have put me off taking other peoples word on the quality of parts they install and their experience in building boxes that deal with higher stalls. I figure if I do it myself then I only have myself to blame! (big risk but its a play car!)
The thing that I am not sure about is the valve body and what mods to make for my application!
I have studied the atsg manuals and watched the 4l60e technical video countless times, so I have a good idea of what I'm in for!
I have bought the k&d 2398 clutch spring compressor, tork plus bit and have snap ring pliers and most other tools that I will need.

What I don't have is a bushing driver set. I do not want to buy one either as they are expensive! Being a fitter I have access to a lathe, but for the life of me I can't find dimensions anywhere that I need!
Can anyone tell me the dimensions for the drivers that I will need?
I am waiting on my rebuild kit to arrive from the states, so I can't measure off those and I can't start stipping the box yet as some of the other tools are on order as well!

I will list the new parts that I will be installing and could you guys please comment on these and other things that I should be fitting/modifying.

-Raybestos Stage 1 HP frictions with 7 high energy setup for 3-4
-New Apply and backing plate for 3-4 clearance
-Thick kolene 3-4 steels and turbulator low/reverse and reverse steels
-Complete gasket/seal kit
-Complete bushing kit
-Thrust washer kit
-Alto carbon extra wide band with heavy duty anchor
-New ACDelco reverse drum
-'Beast' sunshell
-reinforcement sleeve for input drum
-3-4 exhaust check valve
-Sonnax 3-4 replacement load springs(do I need these?)
-steel molded input drum pistons
-29 element forward sprag
-Delphi wiring harness with lockup solenoid
-sonnax 3rd accumulator check valve(extra insurance)

I have two options for the valve body
-Transgo hd2 shift kit

Trutech recalibration kit
-corvette servo
-performance seperator plate
-gaskets/seals needed
-aluminium accumulator pistons and springs etc
-line pressure booster kit (.490)

Which of the above should I go for?
Do I need to think about going for sonnax servos?

I am also fitting a b&m aluminium deeper pan, extra large trans cooler and using redline high temp atf

Please offer your advice! I am really not sure which way to go with the valve body for my application.
I know that higher rpms cause a certain amount of overlap between components that can be detrimental to trans life.
I realise that my higher stall is not ideal for city driving and lower revs (hense extra cooler, more oil capacity and good synthetic oil).

Thanks yall
Cameron

Quick Reply: Advice/Info on Rebuilding 4l60e