Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter very hard to turn (4L60E)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter very hard to turn (4L60E)

Motor spun a rod bearing. Parked car, removed engine and transmission. Replaced short block, go to reinstall transmission. Transmission won't seat fully to the block, and the torque converter won't turn inside the bell housing. Pull the transmission back out of the car, have it sitting on the ground. I ensure the converter is fully seated on the input shaft, and it's hard to turn.

The output shaft spins ok, the small center part of the input shaft moves ok. The outer sleeve of the input shaft will not turn by hand. If I spin the skinny splined section by hand, it squeaks a little bit. If I turn the output shaft in the same direct, something inside the case squeaks.

I don't want to throw this in the car only to have something bad happen when I start the engine. Hell, I can't even move the converter so I can line up the flexplate to bolt it down.

I don't remember it being anything like this when the converter was installed a year and a half ago.

I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to automatics, but this sure doesn't seem right.

I'm pretty frsutrated, and I'm looking for any kind of suggestions.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

My car did the same thing. I was 100% sure converter was all the way in, but after taking it back out and working with it for another 5 minutes I got it to go the rest of the way on. It shouldn't be hard to spin once its all the way on. I would think that if the tranny came out alright, it should still line up and bolt back together even if the tranny was shot. I would almost feel for sure that the converter isn't all the way on the imput shaft. I'm not saying your tranny is OK, I'm just saying that if everything was ok coming apart, it should bolt back together.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Another thought, make sure the front hub of the converter is lining up with the center hole in the flywheel.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the converter is all the way on,The converter bolt holes will be one inch to the face of the bellhousing. If there is less its not on..
Old 03-10-2004, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you try and pull the transmission toward the block with the converter no being fully seated you will break the trans pump key's.....

If the converter is fully on and you are sure its completely on then the pump is broken.

Use a flash light and look inside the trans pump and make sure the keys are still opposite from eachother and straight.. then put the converter on lined up with those keys and use some finess at the end (if the keys are still intact).
Old 03-10-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the engine and trans were pulled together with some bolts and the convertor was not in all the way it will warp the inner piece of the pump (cant remember what its called) and as a result the pump binds when turned. Need to replace the pump assembly or the inner piece of it. Remember to get the pump out you have to pull the pan and remove the TCC solenoid.
The following users liked this post:
popeye101 (10-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Teching In

I'm bringing this thread back up because like an idiot I tightened the bellhousing bolts without checking to make sure the converter was all the way in. It was all the way in before I put the tranny in, but it came part way out while I was moving the tranny into position. Now, the converter won't turn.

The two littel keys are still there and they are 180 degrees apart. Can anyone walk me through what I need to do next? What is involved in changing out the pump assembly?

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Set the trans up so the input shaft is pointed up
Remove the pan
remove the solenoid with the two ten mm bolts and pull it out, it will just dangle by the wires
remove the bellhousing with a T50plus
remove orange turbine shaft oring
remove pump bolts
grab onto the splined area closest the pump with one hand
use a prybar in the pan area and CAREFULLY jiggle the pump loose (tool works but so does this)
remove pump half bolts and split it
replace pump rotor with some fresh fluid
take a look at the pump bushing while you are in there, a little wear in ok, a lot means replace
bolt pump halves back together and align by sight or a big hose clamp around the OD.
put some atf on the seals and glue the pump plastic washer "bushing" back on with petrlm jelly
drop it back in and tap it down lightly till is "thunks" and is seated
everything else is reverse of disassembly

Quick Reply: Converter very hard to turn (4L60E)