Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans or convertor? Something went boom

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Trans or convertor? Something went boom

Car is a 99 turbo formula. Rossler Terminator 2 4l60e with about 5K on it and a PTC billet 3800 convertor that was just put in. Did a pull from 2-3 leaving the trans in 2nd. Car got into boost and than it sounded like someone was throwing rocks at the underside of the car for about 10-15 seconds and free rev'd. I let off and let it coast a second while that noise was going on and let it idle. When it stopped i tried to get back on the gas to get to the side of the road and it would move but if I gave it more than a tad of gas it would free rev, kinda like a slipping clutch. I was able to limp it to a stop and the noise went completely away. Than when I tried to move it again nothing happens but free revs. The guys behind me saw sparks and what they think were debris but looking under the car everything looks good! Fluids are normal level and bright red and no burn smell. Car will turn on now and idle fine but no movement and no feel in shifts. What gives? Need to drop it again but looking for some ideas on what might have happened.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, well the sparks and the debris are the wild card here as you have figured out yourself already. I would suggest starting at the flexplate and the converter. It's possible something has sheered. Maybe it lost all the converter to flexplate bolts... Really though, until you get it apart it's going to be a bunch of guessing.

Get it apart, find out what failed and get back to me with what you see and I'll do what I can to help you understand what to do now when it goes back together in order to keep this from happening in the future.

It sounds like you did a number on it. What flexplate do you have on the crankshaft?

g
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a TCI flexplate with ARP bolts and convertor bolts coming out makes a lot of sense actually, but all 3 is scary!