Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E - no movement, no line pressure... Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80E - no movement, no line pressure... Ideas?

So I finally finish up my conversion build, get things dialed in, car is running great... I did notice a couple of times that once everything was up to temp - shifting in and out of gear (fwd gears or reverse) it would slide into gear slowly. Sometimes requiring a quick rev to get it to engage. Very similar feeling to being low on trans fluid where the pump/converter is starving for fluid.

This is a bone stock early 4L80E with newer wiring harness conversion. T42 controller, stock converter (freaking huge beast that kills any performance you can think of)... anyways, it did run great. Shifts on the spot, lockup was perfect. No complaints.

Well after some easy tuning I pull over to make some IFR changes, load the tune, crank her up... and no go. No nothing! Even at a high rev.. (fluid level was fine)

After some quick diagnosis, I have ZERO line pressure.

I pulled the trans pan, nothing obvious that could be wrong - fluid seems normal. I drop the trans, pull the pump and the only thing I could notice was some pump wear. I know its not good but I cant imagine loosing all pressure.

Thoughts? Ideas?

See attached for a pic of the pump...

Thanks all!
David
Attached Thumbnails 4L80E - no movement, no line pressure... Ideas?-4l80_pump.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You either have inadequate converter to flex plate clearance or the pump gear was installed upside down perhaps. Or the converter was not fully seated.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow,
A "little bit of pump wear"?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Wow,
A "little bit of pump wear"?
LOL, c'mon.. she's good for another 100K

I know its trashed but wouldnt that generate at least a little bit of pressure?

Another thing I forgot to mention was that I have always had a vibration when the converter is bolted up to the flexplate and it gets worse at higher rpm (in park/neutral). I have the correct flexplate with the crank spacer but cannot get rid of the vibration. I have tried several times to realign and space the converter properly. Yes, the converter was seated properly and has plenty of engagement. I also think the pump bushings are worn because the converter seemed to have a lot of play/wobble when you slide it into the pump.

So I certainly need a new pump... any other suggestions I should check?

Thanks!
David
Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 AM

I have seen on turbo setups where guys try to build boost and that happens to the pump. Obviously converter spacing is important but so is a good flex plate?

Quick Reply: 4L80E - no movement, no line pressure... Ideas?