Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of core TH400 to buy for a build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What type of core TH400 to buy for a build?

I have searched and found that long tail shaft TH400's should be avoided. But what about a year to get, or the best vehicle to pull one from? Are older ones better or worse than newer ones?

If I buy one already rebuilt to OEM specs, is that just a waste of money if I am going to have it built up anyways?

I am looking to have a TH400 built to hold 1000ft/lbs of torque.

I think I need short tail and 32 spline tail shaft. Does that sound right?

Also, do you guys have places that you would recommend having one built at, or vise versa, places to stay away from?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You're best bet is to just buy one already built. Different years have different features and it takes a mixture to get the best combo.
I have one we ran a sale on a couple of weeks ago for $1350 plus shipping, transbrake, deep pan, billet hub, etc.
That's $300 off the normal price.
I would want to know more about your combo though.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
You're best bet is to just buy one already built. Different years have different features and it takes a mixture to get the best combo.
I have one we ran a sale on a couple of weeks ago for $1350 plus shipping, transbrake, deep pan, billet hub, etc.
That's $300 off the normal price.
I would want to know more about your combo though.
My combo is not built yet. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row first so I'm not spending pointless money. This means I need to get the trans I plan on running, bolt it to my LQ4 and mock it up in my car. I have to have the trans in order to mock up the engine. So basically I need my core first if that makes any sense?

I already have the LQ4. It will get a forged rotating assembly with pinned caps and possibly O-ringed deck. Already have my BW 75mm turbo. Already have 1600cc injectors and complete fuel system in the car. It will mainly be a street car with frequent drag strip visits.

My car has already gone mid/low 10's, but that was with a V6. Now I plan to up my game and double my displacement. Just need a tranny that I KNOW will hold 1000ft/lbs
Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

1000 lb/ft for a TH400 isn't a problem for a knowledgeable builder.
The stock shafts will take it if it's a NA or turbo combo in a relatively light car.

N20 or heavy combo will need a billet input , forward hub.

The 900-1000 HP/TQ range is right where some hard part upgrades need to occur but what all exactly needs to happen varies.

Vehicle weight, power adder, max rpm, primary usage, desired valve body type, and obviously budget are all factors to be considered.

Working blind I would build a unit with all billet shafts, Super Drum assembly, Griner aluminum Pro-brake, deep pan, UltraBell, stock gearset, rollerized. That's an almost $4000 transmission.

Basically the same build one of our customer's is running here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZPgT11V9E&sns=em

Tim runs 8.4x in the 1/4 at 3425 lbs with an ~1100 HP turbo combo if I recall correctly.

However,
you may not need quite that much transmission.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
1000 lb/ft for a TH400 isn't a problem for a knowledgeable builder.
The stock shafts will take it if it's a NA or turbo combo in a relatively light car.

N20 or heavy combo will need a billet input , forward hub.

The 900-1000 HP/TQ range is right where some hard part upgrades need to occur but what all exactly needs to happen varies.

Vehicle weight, power adder, max rpm, primary usage, desired valve body type, and obviously budget are all factors to be considered.

Working blind I would build a unit with all billet shafts, Super Drum assembly, Griner aluminum Pro-brake, deep pan, UltraBell, stock gearset, rollerized. That's an almost $4000 transmission.

Tim runs 8.4x in the 1/4 at 3425 lbs with an ~1100 HP turbo combo if I recall correctly.

However,
you may not need quite that much transmission.

I see what you are saying.

Car and driver used to weigh 3000lbs. I estimate new weight to be 3200lbs.
Power adder is Turbo only
Max RPM would be 7000rpm
Primary use would be 50% street raging and 50% drag strip.
Transbrake
I would like a manual valve body with the automatic shifting option? Is that even possible?

Budget... I was expecting around $2000 plus shipping. Workable, or no?

Quick Reply: What type of core TH400 to buy for a build?