Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My converter is stuck...can't remove

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My converter is stuck...can't remove

I posted a thread a few days ago questioning the spacing (or lack thereof) between the face of the converter bolt provisions when I bolted my 4L80e bell housing to the engine block. The face of the converter provisions were perfectly flush with the flexplate - no trouble getting the bell housing and engine block to mate, but couldn't freely rotate the converter by hand either.

I was positive I felt the converter click "three times" when installing it on the input shaft, and thought I measure the spacing from the edge of the bell housing to the converter (but must not have). After realizing that there should be a 1/8-3/16 gap between my flexplate and converter and it should rotate freely, I remove the transmission and attempted to pull the converter off...........STUCK.

I can't get the converter to go on any further, nor can I get it to come off. It moves forward and back slightly, but I can't get it to come off and I've pulled very hard on it. The converter mated to the splines without issue when I installed it, and I've had it off the input shaft a couple times before I ever bolted the bell housing to the engine block and didn't have too difficult a time removing it...but now I can't get it off and I'm a bit worried.

I emailed the manufacturer and they said it could be tough to get it over the O-ring (which is new) on the input shaft to get it fully seated, but I can't figure out why I am having so much trouble removing it.

I'm assuming it shouldn't be this difficult to remove a new converter from a freshly rebuilt 4L80e transmission, but I've never done it before so......

How F'd am I? I didn't want to try standing the transmission up on end to get better angle to "push" the converter down further, and wouldn't expect to have to do it that way, but who knows...

I measured from the edge of the bellhousing to the face of the converter bolt provision and it's about 15/18...meaning I needed to go roughly 2-3/16ths further for it to be "fully seated" according to the writeups.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

So this never happened to anyone before?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen on a TH400 with a Kenne Bell switch pitch converter. I can't recall exactly after 25 years what I did to finally get it off. I think I used more and more force until it finally popped off. I sent it back to KB for a replacement.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn the trans upside down, (bellhousing down), lift it an inch off the ground, and drop it firmly.. the converter will drop out. (last ditch effort) Have you pried gently with a prybar between the pump and the converter?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

For what its worth, I took the transmission back to the builder and he looked at it. there ended up being some machining marks leftover on the converter snout that prevented it from seating in the pump properly. He polished out the machining marks and fitted it to the pump while it was removed....nothing broken, and it sits at the property depth now.

Quick Reply: My converter is stuck...can't remove