Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new transmission or what??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new transmission or what??

I have a '98 Z28 with about 31k miles on the clock. See mods listed in signature. Don't drive the car much anymore. And have only put about 1k miles on it in the last year. I live in DE so it has been very cold this winter. But back in Dec., I noticed the transmission was getting a little ify. I have no problems when I am crusing around in Overdrive. But when in Drive, thats a different story. The car is hesitant to shift into the next gear for some reason. Also, when shifting from 1-2 and 2-Drive, it hesitates too. Car idles fine and no problems with Reverse gear. If I am cruising on the highway and let off the gas for a second or two, then hit the gas again, it doesn't react right away. Has anyone experienced this before? I am almost sure of it. Can anyone offer any advice or help me out, or know what the problem might be? My dad mentioned that I might just need the linkage readjusted, something like that, but not quite sure what that means. I was looking at some auto trans prices online, and see that they are about $2000 dollars. Anyone know how much it would cost to install a new trans? Can anyone offer opinions on different brands of replacement automatic transmissions, or would it be best to stick the oem? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesnt sound like its slipping.Thats what they do before they go out.Sounds kind of like a tuning issue
Old 03-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Launching!

it sounds like the tranny if interested give us a call we do a beefed up rebuild that holds up if interested call 203 619 4732 thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, took the car out again this past Sat. The car shifts perfectly fine, as smooth as ever, when I am in Overdrive. If I take my foot off the gas and let the car go for a few seconds, then put my foot back on the gas, everything is fine, still. The car shifts through all gears like normal and I hear no clunking or anything unusual. Now, in Drive, thats a different story. The car shifts fine, from 1-2, 2-3, etc., smooth and everything. No roughness whatsoever. But, when I take my foot off the gas when crusing, the RMP's drop all the way down to idle speed, like the car is in Park or Neutral. Then when I put my foot back on the gas, the car jumps forward trying to get back into gear. It is just completely strange because this only happens in Drive, but not in Overdrive. In Overdrie when I take my foot off the gas, the RPM's remain and don't drop. Is this a tuning issue? Can somebody please help me out? If this is a new trans issue, i might just trade the car in for a newer one. Who knows! Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Default dude my tranny is junk too

Originally Posted by mikez28
I have a '98 Z28 with about 31k miles on the clock. See mods listed in signature. Don't drive the car much anymore. And have only put about 1k miles on it in the last year. I live in DE so it has been very cold this winter. But back in Dec., I noticed the transmission was getting a little ify. I have no problems when I am crusing around in Overdrive. But when in Drive, thats a different story. The car is hesitant to shift into the next gear for some reason. Also, when shifting from 1-2 and 2-Drive, it hesitates too. Car idles fine and no problems with Reverse gear. If I am cruising on the highway and let off the gas for a second or two, then hit the gas again, it doesn't react right away. Has anyone experienced this before? I am almost sure of it. Can anyone offer any advice or help me out, or know what the problem might be? My dad mentioned that I might just need the linkage readjusted, something like that, but not quite sure what that means. I was looking at some auto trans prices online, and see that they are about $2000 dollars. Anyone know how much it would cost to install a new trans? Can anyone offer opinions on different brands of replacement automatic transmissions, or would it be best to stick the oem? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
man, check out transmissioncenter.net. I'm looking at their turbo 400 street raptor that'll hold 1000hp but its $3600. I've already rebuilt the stock tranny once 16k miles ago and i'm already looking for a new one. like you, i drive mine very rarely and i never really beat on it. i'm undecided as to what i'm gonna do.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Launching!

how many horsepower and torc do you guys have we have trannys that hold up to 600 to 650 horse if interested let me know if i call help you out 203 619 4732 thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

i have the same **** happen to me on 2 trannys already, i think its a band or thats what ive been told.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ESP101
how many horsepower and torc do you guys have we have trannys that hold up to 600 to 650 horse if interested let me know if i call help you out 203 619 4732 thanks
I don't know how much horsepower and torque I have. My car is pretty much stock, with the exception of the exhaut, hood, cai, and filter. Thats about it. But I am going to have my mechanic check out the car and see what he thinks. If I need a new trans, I might give a call. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PissedSS
i have the same **** happen to me on 2 trannys already, i think its a band or thats what ive been told.
Do you know roughly how much this would cost if thats my problem? Thanks!