Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doin a th400 in a 4l60E

Old 03-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doin a th400 in a 4l60E

I have a 94 z with a 4l60e i am putting a th400 with a brake in it soon (like this weekend) and i need to see what all i will need.

so far this is my list

Shifter (what kind ?)

New Crossmember (kind)

converter 3700 cust, built
Old 03-10-2004, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

You can use the std shifter but the selector sensor wont fit on the shaft to tell your car whether it's in reverse neutral or park etc so you will have it set in park and rig some other devise up so it doesn't start in gear....or get a B & M shifter (to suit the shift pattern of your box, mine's a reverse shift pattern) and it will have all the stuff you need to be able to have the ignition only start in park or neutral.

I used a combiation of the manual cross member and the auto rubber mount with a piece of 1" box tube to get the height right.

You can reuse your 4L60E converter, just take it to the converter shop and have them change the pump shaft and the lugs where it bolts onto your flex plate.
Your drive shaft will need to be longer and you will need a new yoke.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

is it reverse or forward valve body. I have a quarter stick as my shifter.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8 ute
You can use the std shifter but the selector sensor wont fit on the shaft to tell your car whether it's in reverse neutral or park etc so you will have it set in park and rig some other devise up so it doesn't start in gear....or get a B & M shifter (to suit the shift pattern of your box, mine's a reverse shift pattern) and it will have all the stuff you need to be able to have the ignition only start in park or neutral.

I used a combiation of the manual cross member and the auto rubber mount with a piece of 1" box tube to get the height right.

You can reuse your 4L60E converter, just take it to the converter shop and have them change the pump shaft and the lugs where it bolts onto your flex plate.
Your drive shaft will need to be longer and you will need a new yoke.

Good luck.
did you use a short shaft, or a regular tail shaft. Will i need to use a diff flex plate or will mine bolt up to the TH400 Converter ? sorry for all the Qs but i dont want to get in the there and realize i cant do it over something stupid
Old 03-11-2004, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

I measured the difference in length between the two gearboxes and had a tailshaft made to suit.

You can use the same flex plate but you need to have the lugs on the torque converter that bolt upto the flex plate changed and a new pump shaft to suit the TH400 welded onto your 4L60E converter.

You will also need to get your computer "Edited" to run with out an Auto (like it's a manual) so it will drive and not throw codes etc.

Search this Thread