Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished dealing with Jakes Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just finished dealing with Jakes Performance

So I got one of Jakes th400 rebuild kits, and a 3600 stall.
It took a little longer rebuilding the th400 since it was the 1st one, but when there were questions Jakes answered them.

Finally drove the car today and was very impressed the thing shift nice and all the tricks on Jakes webpage on building the th400 worked for holding the shifts and stuff.

Great company to work with and great support.

This tranny is behind a 408 iron ls putting down about 500 to the wheels in a 85 mustang and the car can be dd.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

thats awesome.. hope you enjoy it!! i am think of going with the 80e with my swap for the overdrive on the hwy
-Tony
Old 10-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Launching!

I already had the 400, so that was my route, but I think once the 6L80 become more reasonable I will swap to that. Jakes is well worth talking to they know what they are doing.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

thanks for sharing your experience wit hus here. i will def. pick his brain when i get there on my build.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

What kit did you go with? How difficult was it to rebuild? I'll be putting a RMVB with brake in mine soon and would like to rebuild it at the same time.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Launching!

When talking with Jake I told him my setup. I went with his standard rebuild kit. With a new smooth race drum.
For reference on rebuilding there is a pretty good DVD you can buy on e-bay, the go fast mods on Jakes page, and
How to Work with and Modify the Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 Transmission (Motorbooks Workshop) NOTE*this book is out of print I found a copy at a library and to make sure I did not damage the original made copies of the rebuild pages*

There are specialty tools you need that will run you about $400 to do the job, but I found a place to buy em.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the special are not needed. You need a device to compress the springs which can be made out of some threaded rod and some flat bar. I have done many trannies and never bought a special tool. The 400 is a good trans to rebuild and learn the basics. My first was a th350, then th400 then some glides and 4l60e's. Just take them apart and line the parts on a workbench. Then pull apart and rebuild each part then put it back together before you move on to the next. Plus the books are helpful and can show you where things go if you forget.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

How much did the rebuild kit cost you? did you upgrade the sprag?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jake is not only a great dealer, and a great mechanic, but his customer service is second to none. I had a problem about a month after I got my valve body and transbrake from him and I wasn't available when jake was and vice versa. Left his personal cell number for me to call him and not only talked about my problems, but talked cars and tranny tips and tricks and some insider secrets also for several hours.

Great guy and even better support, jake your what a real business should be!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Teching In

I completely disagree with this thread in every way, shape and form. Jake was absolutely horrible to deal with. He's a dishonest scammer and unfriendly. He scammed me out of a $3,000 transmission. I opened up the transmission upon receiving it and the filter was ALREADY clogged. He blamed it on my wiring harness, but this transmission was not even installed on the vehicle yet. The transmission was squealing from mile 1. Jake offered no warranty services and did not offer to help in any way. This was a bitter lesson learned. I don't give a **** if he is a vendor on here or not. This was my experience and it is 100% factual. I have no skin in this game and no reason to lie. I hope others don't make the same mistake I did by deciding to purchase a transmission from these dishonest scammers.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_ss
I completely disagree with this thread in every way, shape and form. Jake was absolutely horrible to deal with. He's a dishonest scammer and unfriendly. He scammed me out of a $3,000 transmission. I opened up the transmission upon receiving it and the filter was ALREADY clogged. He blamed it on my wiring harness, but this transmission was not even installed on the vehicle yet. The transmission was squealing from mile 1. Jake offered no warranty services and did not offer to help in any way. This was a bitter lesson learned. I don't give a **** if he is a vendor on here or not. This was my experience and it is 100% factual. I have no skin in this game and no reason to lie. I hope others don't make the same mistake I did by deciding to purchase a transmission from these dishonest scammers.
If you feel that strongly, I suggest you take that to Yellow Bullet TOBT. Bring all of your evidence, photos, receipts, etc.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_ss
I only ask out of curiosity, but....how did a transmission that wasn't installed yet "ALREADY" have a stopped up filter?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Just realized I posted on a 6 year old post.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

I looked this customer up today because I had doubted it was even a legitimate customer.
Bought a transmission in 2013, no phone calls this year at all from the number on file.

I've warrantied transmissions that were years out of warranty if we found a build issue or even questionable as to cause.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

2011 has been over for quite a while, not sure why this was revived for an entirely separate incident.

Quick Reply: Just finished dealing with Jakes Performance