Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DS wedged into tranny: busted tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DS wedged into tranny: busted tranny?

I'm not sure which section this should go in, because I'm not exactly sure what has caused this. So I'm posting in the Transmission and the Gears/Axles sections.

I have previously had some strange vibrations just prior to the torque converter locking/unlocking, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my current dilemma. I was merging onto 295 yesterday and heard a loud KaKLUNK sound under my rear left wheel-well. I stopped to look under the car but didn't notice anything, except when driving it later it seemed like a lot of the previous vibration issues had dissipated. I looked under the car last night and saw tranny fluid pooled up on the garage floor... Now the drive shaft looks like it is about 1/16 of an inch from the tranny. It's like the rear shifted forward, or the tranny shifted backwards, neither of which make any sense because I didn't see anything broken. I have not had a chance to try and take anything apart, and won't be able to until Wednesday I'm not sure where to even start though. How is it possible for the rear to shift that far forward without something being noticeably broken?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bent or broken control arm or mounting lug on the axle, jack it up and take a look. You could destroy the trans if there's really only 1/16" of yoke showing...
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the pinion nut to make sure it's properly torqued. I've seen those back off and the the pinion walk out of the bearing and move the driveshaft forward on occasions.

Take a look at everything and let us know what you see.

g
Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll check the pinion nut tonight, but I think I found the problem (as embarassing as it is...)

Previously, I thought I had my pinion angle set properly, but when I remeasured the driveshaft angle on Saturday I realized it was + an not -. So I adjusted the angle of the rear-end angle to fix it (I had to adjust it a good amount since It was set in the wrong direction...), thereby "lengthening" the driveshaft as I made it more level. At that time I didn't think about the affect that changing the angle would have on the driveshaft clearance, but since it was a significant angle change, and I already had only 1/2 - 5/8" of clearance between the tailshaft and DS, it made enough difference to eliminate my remaining clearance. I'm pretty sure the loud CLUNK I heard was the DS hitting my tranny, because I can actually see on the DS yoke where it hit the seal on the transmission. So I'm 95% sure that's what caused my problem. I'm taking the DS today to get it shortened, and am planning to replace the tranny seal tonight.

When I looked under the car last night to take the DS out I didn't see any bent/broken parts or bolts anywhere. I also fiddled with the rear angle before removing the DS, and as I adjusted it back towards my previous setting there was def more clearance between the DS and tranny. Hopefully I'll have it running again by Friday to check and make sure that was indeed the issue (after I replace the lost tranny fluid of course).