Register Forgot Password?
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9
Default bypass neutral safety switch

OK guys i have a feeling my neutral safety switch is failing on me and it looks to be about 50 bucks for a new one. I will probaly never attempt to start my car in drive so I'm wondering can I just bypass the switch and if so does anyone know how?

2001 MRM firebird shorty headers, shaved lid, hotchkiss stb, 3.42 posi. SOLD
2002 Z28 M6, LS6 Swap 230/232 cam, Ported FAST 102/102, 85mm Z06 maf, Meziere EWP, ARH 1-7/8, Bassani TD's, Tune, Lid, SSRA, ATI 10%, 3.90's, Tick M/C, MGW, 32lb Mcleod Twin Disk/Fidanza.
redbird555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Connect the purple and dark green wires together. Also the black/white and orange/black wires can be connected to make the hatch open and a couple other power accessories
dirty_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Launching!
1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 3

While you CAN do that, it's probably not a good idea to just bypass that if the car is your DD. One question though, does your brake switch selonoid still work (I think that's what it's called. It prevents you from putting the car in gear without having your foot on the brake)? Because When I did my swap I didn't feel like spending $50 on that, but I am very glad I hooked up the nuetral safety switch. There have been several times where I forgot to have it in park when I tried to start the car. I'm glad it didn't start and plow into the vehicle in front of me. Then again, I went from a manual to auto, so I wasn't used to the whole "leave the car in park" bit... Just my 2 cents though.

CAI, LS6 Intake, LTs & 4.10's, UMI 3-point subframe connecters, LCAs, S60, PHB, TA
1/4: 12.85 @105.39 on BF Goodrich Radial T/A 295/50/16 street tires
runtwrestlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8

if you bypass please do not allow any one drive you car ( dealer/lube shop/ flat /align)
as I worked in servicing auto for 30 years and saw several auto run away because the owner/driver by passed the switch and did not tell the one serviceing the auto , and a few times a run away even after beening told the switch was by passed because the tech was busy and forgot about the by pass
Johnny
Y2K SS (SLP #239)
Black , T-tops, A4, NA, Race weigh 3747#
Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
& NOTHING else ------is stock
"NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car,my best time is not in the 12's- any more"
I am NOT soliciting as I have retired
>>align info: http://www.jgruggles.com
SS SLP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

A neutral safety switch is not a necessity and may be fairly easy to bypass but you will be living/driving on borrowed time. It will (likely) only be a matter of time before some sort of mishap takes place and then you will really kick yourself and wish you had spent a few bucks because it could very likely cost you 100 times that depending on the severity of the incident. Couldn't you find a (low mileage) used one from a salvage yard for cheaper...or maybe ebay??

It is treason to own an auto from a foreign based company!!!
Paul57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 38

Anyone else have any input on this?? I just swapped to a quarter stick and wouldn't mind bypassing it because I currently can't even start my car. I know the shifter has a hook up for it so I am guessing just hook the purple and green wires up to the shifter???

Patriot l Comp l LS6 l BMR l YANK l Pacesetter l Dynomax l Kirkey

Custom plates to mount Quarter Stick,Pro Stick & Pro Stealth shifters in factory console.. PM ME.
JustAFooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4l60e, 4l80e, 97, a4, audi, bypass, bypassing, camaro, car, location, neutral, nutural, override, safety, saftey, starts, switch, youre