Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right year, make and model but wrong flex plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Right year, make and model but wrong flex plate?

I have an older 1999 LQ4 from a silverado 2500hd. This is the one that has the crank that is actually longer instead of just having the spacer on the back.

I picked up a flex plate for a 1999 silverado 6.0, and it doesn't work... sorta. Let me explain.

When bolted on correctly with the side that says "engine side" going toward the engine side, it sticks out too far from the starter by approximately .250-.375".

When I flip it around though (bolted on backwards), then it sits too close to the starter, but the starter will actually engage the flex plate and turn over the engine. It is absolutely too close to the starter though.

By my description, I obviously have a flex plate that has an "offset" or a "back spacing" if you will.

It seems like I need a flex plate that has zero offset or back spacing and is just flat. Does anyone have a part number for that? It could be OEM or an aftermarket SFI approved model.

I thought I could just buy the correct year and model flex plate and it would work. Apparently not. Either that, or the person selling it didn't know there was a difference and just said it would fit my application.

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT:

Also, I have searched many threads. All of the ones I am finding with my problem, don't ever seem to have the answer in them. Some of them come up with a solution, but they don't post what it took to solve the problem. LOL

Last edited by SATAN; 11-27-2011 at 11:03 AM.