Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e issues.. thinking about swapping

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e issues.. thinking about swapping

I know engines but have never messed with automatic trannys and I've done as mush reading as I could for today.. I figured I'ld go ahead and put my problem out there and see what direction I need to be heading. I done a 5.3 swap into my 89 mustang and I bought the tranny with the engine.

The Problem: With my car off the ground the tires have forward motion in every gear including reverse and neutral. Not alot of wheel speed but slowly moving. I set the car on the ground and it trys to move forward for a second in any gear outside of PARK.. but want pull but a few inches and then nothing. I did scan it and got the code p0785 (shift timing silenoid malfunction) and thats the only code I get. I talked to a guy who does trannys here in town and he says the trannys bad and needs rebuilding.

My thoughts: I can get a rebuild kit for $160.00 for the 4l60e or I could get a th350 for $200.00 with a shift kit. I want to run a 3500ish stall and have a strong tranny for when I go turbo. Should I just rebuild the 4l60e or swap to a th350?
And if I do swap to a th350 does anyone know the part numbers of the bolts and spacer I would need to do the swap?

Thanks in advance.. My mind hurts from thinking about this so much..
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Since no one else has replied, let me take a shot at this, but I'm certainly no expert.

With P0785 it is possible/likely one of the solenoids on the valve body is defective, there is a wiring error, a pin on the electrical connector got bent, or the electrical harness in the trans has a broken wire. These are all cheap to fix; solenoids are about $15 each and the wiring harness with new TCC solenoid is about $30. These items can be tested with an Ohm meter. If you are not comfortable doing that, get another expert opinion. IMHO (very humble) this by itself does not indicate anything requiring a "rebuild".

Also IMHO, a stock recent model 4L60E is stronger than a TH350 and much better is so many ways, such as programmable shift points and firmness. However, anything over 400HP will require a rebuild with stronger parts and special mods. Skip the $160 rebuild kit unless you never plan to go over 300HP. Also, better to have a pro rebuild it, as it takes some experience and quite a few expensive tools.
In short, I think your trans has a simple electrical problem and not a mechanical problem.