Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank versus TCI converters; also TCC at WOT operation

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Yank versus TCI converters; also TCC at WOT operation

I first ran a TCI Super StreetFighter behind my 450HP LS2, but found it a bit loose for street driving. Therefore I changed to a (lower stall) regular TCI StreetFighter, which seems too tight for the track. I have a 4L65E trans and a 3.42 rear.

So, my first question is, would a Yank SS3200/3600 feel tighter than the TCI Super StreetFighter in normal street driving? In other words is the TCI generally considered a quality or a junk converter?

My second question is, should the TCC always be released during high throttle, or can it be engaged at WOT? I have seen that some converters claim to have multiple TCC disks for WOT operation; this implies that the TCC on most converters cannot handle WOT. Can the Yank SS3200/3600 lock-up clutch handle 500HP at WOT?

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as i know the tcc should never be on at wot. it should go off as soon as you hit the brake or if you increase your throttle position more than a few percent. as far as what brand convertor to use i hear very good things about the yanks. dont have any personal exp with them though.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

From what I gather tci makes one of the worst converters.
Yank makes a nice tight converter. My ss3600 is 96% efficient. Call yank or another good company they will help you.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need a triple disk converter for WOT locking, the SS series is a single disk. Some lock it on the dyno but that allows you to engage it ahead of time, before you actually punch it. Locking it on the street/track would mean you would already be at WOT when attempting to lock it which would cause a much higher probability of failure.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-18-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the confirmation not to lockup the converter at WOT. I was all set to try such a tune at the track last time; guess it might have been bad.

Still hoping for feedback from anyone that switched from a TCI to another brand converter. I see that Yank has a 10% off sale until Monday.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no complaints about the TCI SF3000's fluid-coupled performance,
it was nicely balanced too. Their clutches really, really suck even if you
are kind to them. Very undersized.

I don't know anything about Yank's SS clutches other than seeing a few
complaints about slip. That might be fixable in the tune for normal
driving. But I suspect they are undersized for WOT locking. I wouldn't
say there is any problem with the SS line, it just has a lot of "street
exposure" and that includes bad setups, bad tunes I reckon.

Now I have successfully locked up my Fuddle HP/S converter on a
WOT rolling pull. It pulled in and held. But doing that lowered the
acceleration (by the logs) so I don't do it. Shows me it could be
done for dyno purposes and survive though. That's one, albeit
beefier than normal, clutch. Not a triple or anything fancy, just
surface area and piston size.

The only opinion that's worth spit, really, is the manufacturer's.
If you want a clutch that can take lockup, ask them. Whether you
want lockup at WOT, aside from dyno work, I doubt though.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You need a triple disk converter for WOT locking, the SS series is a single disk. Some lock it on the dyno but that allows you to engage it ahead of time, before you actually punch it. Locking it on the street/track would mean you would already be at WOT when attempting to lock it which would cause a much higher probability of failure.
100% correct, do not lock a converter under full power or you will have some explosive results.. That is unless you do a triple disc unit...... You can lock the converter on the dyno for a pull, but you better make sure it is COMPLETELY applied before you nail it!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

TCI is a good converter for three speed transmissions, i think they missed the boat on everything else. a buddy of mine ran a tci for a couple of years in his car and had nothing but problems with it. it was rebuilt twice and he eventually switched to a cohn.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Loose and tight are fairly subjective but while my SS3600 will flash to 3600-3800 on a solid WOT punch, I can drive all over town from stops and up 30-40mph hills and stay in the 1800-2200rpm range easily.

I would say that is pretty perfect for a daily driver that's still fun. On flat pavement from a stop, it will start to pull slowly as soon as I let off the brake with no throttle applied at a 900rpm idle. I can stay side by side with traffic getting it up to speed at ~1800rpms or be the fastest one moving in traffic at around 2200-2500rpm.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Launching!

lock up is only for fuel economy.fuel economy and WOT dont go together in the same sentence.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Circle-D says you can lock it if you want at WOT (with their billet multi-disk). They dare you to break it.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone. I have definitely learned NOT to try a lockup at WOT !!!
I experiment a lot with tuning and it is good to know what not to try.

I just ordered a SS3600 from Yank to take advantage of their holiday 10% off special. I am impressed that Dave called me within a few minutes of sending him an email (the phone number was busy). I'll start a new thread when I get the chance to try the Yank - next year after the Michigan winter.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can't break a Billet Triple Disc in my 04 Dodge CC4X4 with a 800hp 1600lbft at the tires Cummins. You are not going to in a NO Torque making gas motor in a 3000lb car. My truck weighed 8500lbs wet and went 11.20's 100's of times in the 1/4 and on the street. Locked up from 2nd gear to fourth gear. This was a custom TCI Billet Triple and also a Sun Coast Billet. I tried different converters for over a year for TCI. They actually made me a converter that would MPH 6mph better than any competitor's, but my sixty foot suffered.

Note: In the Diesel World, Locking the converter in a 1/4 pass is worth at least 5 tenths. I have literally run a 11.80 with the converter locking in 4th only to 11.20's locking upon upshift to 2nd gear.

Last edited by midevil1; 12-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM

I figure a lockup is worth something at the track because the converter is then 100% efficient (instead of < 96%), but to me its not worth spending the extra money for a triple-disk. Also, I bet that at 800HP and 8500lbs no converter is even close to 96%, and instead is slipping quite a bit; therefore lockup would be very valuable.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I had no complaints about the TCI SF3000's fluid-coupled performance,
it was nicely balanced too. Their clutches really, really suck even if you
are kind to them. Very undersized.

I don't know anything about Yank's SS clutches other than seeing a few
complaints about slip. That might be fixable in the tune for normal
driving. But I suspect they are undersized for WOT locking. I wouldn't
say there is any problem with the SS line, it just has a lot of "street
exposure" and that includes bad setups, bad tunes I reckon.

Now I have successfully locked up my Fuddle HP/S converter on a
WOT rolling pull. It pulled in and held. But doing that lowered the
acceleration (by the logs) so I don't do it. Shows me it could be
done for dyno purposes and survive though. That's one, albeit
beefier than normal, clutch. Not a triple or anything fancy, just
surface area and piston size.

The only opinion that's worth spit, really, is the manufacturer's.
If you want a clutch that can take lockup, ask them. Whether you
want lockup at WOT, aside from dyno work, I doubt though.
You talking about TCI's clutches really makes me wonder about my converter going out..

I recently thought I lost my transmission. I was cruising down the road about 60 and the converter(TCI SSF3500) suddenly started locking/unlocking constantly. Pulled over and checked the trans fluid and it was literally black. Got the car towed home and after talking to some people, found that it was probably the converter's 3-4 clutch pack..

Haven't dropped the transmission yet to check, but my car just makes about 380rwhp and since the day I have got it back from the builder, it has not wanted to stay locked in OD. I guess this is due to the weak clutches that I just found out about??
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I recently thought I lost my transmission. I was cruising down the road about 60 and the converter(TCI SSF3500) suddenly started locking/unlocking constantly. Pulled over and checked the trans fluid and it was literally black. Got the car towed home and after talking to some people, found that it was probably the converter's 3-4 clutch pack..
I think you have things mixed up a bit here. The converter only has a "Lockup" clutch; the tune determines in which gears and at what speed it locks up; generally above a certain throttle position (e.g. 40%) it will not lock up.

The 4L60E has a "3-4 clutch pack" which is notorious for failing behind high HP engines. If an experienced trans person mentioned "3-4 clutch", he meant the transmission, not the converter. This require a complete trans rebuild.

BTW - Don't worry about "hijacking" my thread. I consider my question answered and welcome any continuation.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Repetitive lock/unlock is misfires. A bad clutch will slip / flare
but more of a continuous / threshold kind of deal, not on/off.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Thanks everyone. I have definitely learned NOT to try a lockup at WOT !!!
I experiment a lot with tuning and it is good to know what not to try.

I just ordered a SS3600 from Yank to take advantage of their holiday 10% off special. I am impressed that Dave called me within a few minutes of sending him an email (the phone number was busy). I'll start a new thread when I get the chance to try the Yank - next year after the Michigan winter.
On a side note my Yank SS is approaching 7 years old and has well over 100 passes of wot lockup. It's set at the top of second gear. I plan on running it unlocked to utilized the 2-3 shift extension and see if it makes a difference. I'm not making huge power either, maybe that's why its held up.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

I ran a TCI Streetfighter 3000 for three years daily driving (no problems) and then moved up to a Yank SS3600. Driveability with the Yank was so similar that I could hardly tell the difference. So I think you'll be pleased with your Yank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yank versus TCI converters; also TCC at WOT operation