Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible noise after tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible noise after tranny install

So I finally got my Performabuilt transmission, Yank SS 3600, and new TCI flex plate bolted up. I checked and double checked the TC and flex plate spacing and had to add a .06 washer to make the gap correct. After starting it up the first time it sounds like I have a rod knocking. The sound is the same whether its in gear or in park or neutral. I crawled under to listen and it's very loud by the starter. I'm wondering if I have a flex plate bolt hitting the back of the engine block since the TCI flex plate is thicker. I haven't started to remove the transmission yet to take a look. I couldn't see anything abnormal through the opening in the bell housing and when turning the engine by hand there are no noises or anything hitting. Anyone have any ideas before I tear it all back out again?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed, im putting mine in right now.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Carefully look at the converter bolts bearing in mind that the flexplate does get pushed forward when the car is running I have heard of people having this issue with that plate and certain bolts contacting the back of the engine.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Carefully look at the converter bolts bearing in mind that the flexplate does get pushed forward when the car is running I have heard of people having this issue with that plate and certain bolts contacting the back of the engine.
That's what I was thinking it might be. I didn't know the flexplate shifted forward when running. Is there a better flex plate I should be using? I guess I could put the stock one back in but I figured I might as well replace it while I had everything off.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I rather like the stock one myself seems less hassel and its fine IMO if in good shape

Call 888-744-6542