Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Catastrophic Failure!! Need Tech Input

Old 12-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Catastrophic Failure!! Need Tech Input

Hey guys, I'm having issues with my transmission. I'm pulling out and doing a R&R tomorrow but looking to get a heads up. I took out the camaro and I got on it a little bit. Trans shifted 2nd really late as compared to usual and then complete failure with the exception of reverse. Drove the car home in reverse (about a mile and a half.. and yes I recieved a few heads cocked to the side WTF looks) and parked it for about an hour. Got the shop opened up started the car started backing it in and lost reverse half way in so the trans is completely shot. I've had issues with transmissions before and do all my own repairs but never had anything like this before. I'm looking for input as to what the problem might be. I figured if it was a stripped/broken gear I would have lost everything at once. I didnt notice any noise when it happened nor was there any afterwards as the car was coasting. Manual low etc. is gone also. Any input is appreciated. Thank You
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

lol i have no clue what happened but nice driving backwards over a mile lmao.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

LOL Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM

I'm going to take a guess and say you have an issue with the input portion of the trans. If I had to guess either the forward clutch, front planet or the front most part of the output shaft. After driving in reverse for the time you did what ever has failed is totally bound up causing a no reverse condition as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1RatRod
Hey guys, I'm having issues with my transmission. I'm pulling out and doing a R&R tomorrow but looking to get a heads up. I took out the camaro and I got on it a little bit. Trans shifted 2nd really late as compared to usual and then complete failure with the exception of reverse. Drove the car home in reverse (about a mile and a half.. and yes I recieved a few heads cocked to the side WTF looks) and parked it for about an hour. Got the shop opened up started the car started backing it in and lost reverse half way in so the trans is completely shot. I've had issues with transmissions before and do all my own repairs but never had anything like this before. I'm looking for input as to what the problem might be. I figured if it was a stripped/broken gear I would have lost everything at once. I didnt notice any noise when it happened nor was there any afterwards as the car was coasting. Manual low etc. is gone also. Any input is appreciated. Thank You
sounds like a bad input sprag. atleast until you drove home in reverse. that most likely destroyed the reverse clutches. sorry man. rebuild time.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys.. Ill keep you informed as to what the issue is.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well ive hade one fluke with a 92 explorer kind of the same thing lost the tranny on the highway during normal driving. it was taken to a dealership and they said it needed a new tranny, it was my brother in laws parents car and that drove 800 miles to visit, a old school guy we know recommended a fluid and tranny filter change, it was cheep so me and my dad took it home and did it, and what do you know it WORKED, all gears worked again including reverse and they drove the 800 miles home, it had 100k miles on it then. fast forward 4 years later I purchased the truck with 200k on it with the SAME tranny in it with no issues still, infact since they had that thing new they never had to replace anything. only thing that EVER went out on that truck was the water pump at 225k, crazy i know.

its always worth a shot to check the filter and fluids

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E Catastrophic Failure!! Need Tech Input